New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the weather in Michigan begins to clear up, I will be swapping out the rear drums for TCE discs along with the knuckle (blasted/coated) itself, new wheel bearings, braided stainless lines, and of course new bushings. From what I've dug up it looks like Energy Suspension is the favourite, but it never hurts to ask before installing something only to find there was a smarter choice. My other question is, which bushing specifically are the two in the knuckle considered and are they the same? My factory manual specifies they are part of the knuckle and are replaced by swapping the knuckle, so I can't find anything concrete there. Dealership was no help in getting a part number for reference either as they said the same thing. I welcome any advice from those who've already done the deed both on this swap, and on anything else I should tackle while I'm at it besides finally getting the ST200 RSTB in since it will be easier on a lift with nothing in the well.

I also was reading here about ADDCO swaybars since BAT are long done it seams, and am leaning towards throwing one on while I'm in there unless there are better alternatives, and of course those BUSHINGS...
https://www.newcougar.org/forums/wtb-automotive-parts-accessories/197471-21mm-bat-rear-sway-bar.html

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
There's not a lot of software in our rear ends.
Before going down the rabbit hole, we need to establish standard terminology:
Trailing arms - The round bar that runs longitudinally with the car, connecting the knuckle to the unibody forward of the wheels. These arms have a bushing on the forward end, and a clevis the rear end that fits over a bushing in the knuckle.

Trailing arm bushing.jpg

Control arms - The box shaped arms that connect the knuckle to the subframe, and provide a mounting point for the sway bar endlinks. These arms have a clevis-like design on the knuckle side that fits over a pre-installed bushing in the knuckle, and a pre-installed bushing in the arm on the subframe side.

control arms.jpg

Toe arms - The flat pressed arms that connect the knuckle to the subframe and control the toe adjustment on the rear wheels. These arms have pre-installed bushings in both ends.

toe.jpg

SO

-The energy suspension bushings readily available from multiple sources are for the Trailing arms. They are a great mod and highly recommended.
-The control arm bushings arent typically replaced. This European company has something, but normally we just replace the whole arm if needed. They are readily available from Rockauto or other sources.
-The toe arm bushing are also not typically replaced. Replacement arms are readily available on rockauto, or many of us have replaced the pressed arms with tubular or solid bar arms. Its a simple matter to fabricate your own, or Massive sells some.
-The sway bar endlinks are absolute garbage on these cars. Nobody I know of makes an improved replacement right now, but replacing the garbage rubber bushings on them is a fairly simple matter. These bushings are pretty close, they need to be drilled out and trimmed down a bit though.
-Poly swaybar bushings are readily available, just double check your swaybar size before ordering, because the Cougars came with a couple different sizes and the parts outlets didn't seem to get the memo
-ADDCO is the last outlet we know of that had sway bars on the shelf, but its been a while since we've had confirmation of that. Shoot them an email to find out. You may need to ask about Contour bars, I'm not sure if they ever listed them as for the Cougar or not.
-If you're going to install all these stiff parts in your rear end, you're probably also going to want to reinforce the swaybar mounting points on your subframe so you dont rip them off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Delayed I know, but I thought I should mention for reference that the ones for sale via Burton in the UK can also be bought from Powerflex USA as well for a slightly lower price. I figure If I'm replacing the knuckle, all the bushings, and blasting/painting it before putting it back together I might as well have the best available since I won't be changing them unless (until) I destroy them

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Cool! did you receive them yet? Would love to see some pics of the real thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts