New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could not get my rear calipers off the dang car! Does anyone have a how-to or can anyone help me out...If I am thinking correctly, There's 3 "star" bolts that gotta come off. Please get back to me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
There are 3 T-50 Torx bolts.......leave the top on alone (the one behind a little cap)

remove the other two that arent covered by a cap, and the caliper should rotate up.......but dont forget to remove the retaining pin (do this first)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Just incase you're going to have to buy the torx bit, the size was Tx45...did mine a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
What the deal is? Do I need to use a turkey baster or something to pull fluid from the system and open it (at the master) to be able to turn the piston back in, or will it just turn back in with the system closed?

Also... what are the criteria for determining if a rotor needs turning? It's a PITA to throw the car on jackstands on both sides and drive to the crappy stores (i.e. Crappy Tire) that exist here to wait forever for some flunky to turn em...

Thanks,

Massiv.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Wow!

Ok... thank god for this website. Due to extreme business, I almost paid $150+ for a rear brake job... screw that! That was the fastest brake job I've done in my life.

Thanks for all the good info, ya'll! (In this and other threads).

Massiv.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the 2 bolts off that didn't have the cap but i want to completely take off the calipers to paint them. So do all 3 bolts have to come off? Or only the 2 bolts? And the retainer pin, is that the one with the codder pin?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Yeah it is.... pull off the cotter pin, slide out the slide pin (it may be jammed up like mine was... I put a ratchet extension against it and hammered it back.... as soon as it goes flush, it'll come free). The just rotate the caliper up and away to the left of where the slide pin was. Might take a bit of pressure.

That's for pad access anyway, but I think you'll need that to be able to lift it off.

Massiv.

·
Registered
101 Posts
first timer on this car.

1 How Easy
2 Any pics
3 Can I get a step by ste for a retard.

My Passport was easy as hell... Looking at the discs and Calipers ...... This may be a hard one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Originally posted by: Massiv
What the deal is? Do I need to use a turkey baster or something to pull fluid from the system and open it (at the master) to be able to turn the piston back in, or will it just turn back in with the system closed?

Also... what are the criteria for determining if a rotor needs turning? It's a PITA to throw the car on jackstands on both sides and drive to the crappy stores (i.e. Crappy Tire) that exist here to wait forever for some flunky to turn em...

Thanks,

Massiv.

To get the piston back into the caliper to slip it back onto the rotor, simply use a C-clamp, also make sure that you do not damage the rubber boot on the piston.

·
Administrator
11,750 Posts
They make a little clamp that you could basicly make yourself...but what it does is you put the pad in, insert this between the pad & the caliper & twist a knob that pushes the boot back in. This way you don't need to bleed your brakes. But you'll need to pump them a few times before starting so they build up pressure again.

I did this & it took me about 30min to do. Biggest PITA are gettting the little retainer clips back in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
where the hell can i get the retaining bolt and clips from ive looked everywhere......anyone did a swap and still the old caliper please repsond(rear) both sides are gone and there is alot rattling when i hit bumps i know this is vey dangerous!!!!!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Advanced Auto i know has them!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.