New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like the title says, I was wondering exactly how do you do it right?? a detailed description will be great...does it require us to remove the upper intake manifold? or we can simply reach beyond that and remove the wires??

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
If you have the UIM off, it's a cake walk to change the spark plugs. If not, you can still do it but it's a tight fit back there

Mike

·
Administrator
24,544 Posts
The only REALLY bad one is the one behind the coil pack, in the rear center. If you get that one, the rest will be easy.

The holes that the plugs are in are REALLY deep. You'll need an extension on your spark plug wrench. Also, every time I finished torquing down a new plug, the socket pulled off the extension, way down in the hole. So I had to take a coat-hanger and put a tiny bend in the end to fish out the socket after each new plug went in.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
It is possible to do it without removing the UIM, but it takes some patients.

Personally, I say go ahead and remove it and make your life easy. Plus while you have it off you can clean the UIM and runners.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After you tighten down the plug "wobble" socket in a circular motion and lift slowly and it will come right out... No coat-hanger needed.. You can change them in about 20 mins if you have never done it before. Just need to be smart... You will have to take the wrench off the extenion for the rear ones and slide it down and then put the wrench on. Or else you will hit that weather striping and the "crowl" I think it is called.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts