New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a hi-temp clear silicone to re-seal my (2001) headlights, and I can't find any. I was told in my search that there is no product out there that is a hi-temp clear silicone. I did find a translucent hi-heat silicone. Can anyone please recommend a silicone I can use to reseal the headlights. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
It doesn't matter if it is hi-temp or not, that area of your headlights is not going to get all that hot. You can use pretty much any kind of silicone sealant that you want. Believe it or not it looks better when you use black - it is less noticable. And honestly no matter how well you think you sealed them they will still probably leak :) fyi

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
i used Elmers Glue Silicone . . . but i just kinda dabbed it around in a few areas . . . on one headlight i get no leaking whatsoever . . . the other one fogs up all the time though . . . so whenever i wash my car and that headlight fogs up, i just throw my nightshade covers over them and be on my way :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
cant you just cook them?? i am not sure if the 2001-02 are the same in principle as the 99's but i cooked mine and there is no leaking at all...if there is a gooy mess inside the light when you open it then chances are that cooking it would be your best bet....10 minutes at 200* (or however long it takes...i had mine in the oven for about 15 minutes) pull them appart slightly and then squeeze them back together hold until cool..problem solved

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I get fogging once in a while, but they are really a pain to reseal. Me and Cue just left the back housings of the headlights off. If you don't and they aren't sealed right, the water that gets in has a tough time getting back out. I only really get fogging once in a while when I wash my car. And hi-temp isn't a concern, because they're right, the area will not get hot enough. If you have to bake them in the oven at 200 for 10+ minutes, I think it can handle the head from a few little bulbs ;)

Tony, what are you doing to your headlights??

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Originally posted by: crazyoldcougar
cant you just cook them?? i am not sure if the 2001-02 are the same in principle as the 99's but i cooked mine and there is no leaking at all...if there is a gooy mess inside the light when you open it then chances are that cooking it would be your best bet....10 minutes at 200* (or however long it takes...i had mine in the oven for about 15 minutes) pull them appart slightly and then squeeze them back together hold until cool..problem solved
Personally I would be a little afraid of putting headlights that cost $200 each in the oven, but if that works for you then why not...

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Trust the oven, it's the best / easiest way! I've done my headlights twice now. The first time I pried at them for a couple hours to crack em open. The second time I tried the oven, and in 10 minutes, they fell apart like butter with NO harm to the lights. It's safe if you are not an idiot. I also simply reheated them again with the existing sealer that was on their and pressed them back together instead of getting all the gunk out and reapplying it. I've had no more trouble with fogging up than anyone else.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
$200 bucks........i wish.......hehehe must be nice to be american...hehehe...my last quote was 550 for a new light when i bought the car..

anyway....mine dont leak...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Or, maybe speed up the process by using the microwave instead of the oven...;)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
on my headlights i used some type of silicone sealant from advance auto parts i forgot what it was but the second set of headlights i did on my friends car i used a combo of the old silicone and goop, i think thats what the name of it was. but hers didnt fog up at all

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.