New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New guy here. I recently purchased a Laser Red '99 Cougar with a smashed front end. I have completed the bodywork, only to find out that Laser Red is a "Tricoat" paint. I have rebuilt and repainted 10-11 vehicles using PPG DBU basecoat/clearcoat paints, and have had very good results with paint matching. I would consider myself a pretty good amateur painter, but definitely not a pro. I have never painted with a tricoat system. I have to paint the hood, bumper cover, and right fender.

Has anyone used PPG paints to repaint their Laser red Cougar? Or should I buy the paint directly from Ford?

Any suggestions on getting that "midcoat" right? I have heard it's a b*tch to match the paint.

Any other tips, suggestions, or links to web pages with instructions?

Thanks very much,
keen Young

Attachments

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarKat
Why not just change the entire paint to something unique
I 100% agree

·
Registered
815 Posts
[No message]

·
Registered
815 Posts
[No message]

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
a total repaint would be around the same $$ b\c the lazer red paint is super expensive. Plus it would save you alot of headaches when it doesn't match.

Trust me...I own one myself.....

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the idea, but I prefer to try to match the paint. The main reason is labor.

If I repaint the whole car some other color, then I have to remove a bunch of parts, mask a bunch of parts, wet sand the entire car, including door jambs, hatch jambs, and other misc. parts, not to mention engine bay prep for the inner surfaces.

If I try to match the current paint, all I have to do is sand the new hood, fender, and bumper cover, and then paint them off the car. No masking, no part removal, and I get the interior sections of the parts painted. Then just bolt 'em on.

Plus, I like the current Laser Red. So, I repeat my former questions to anyone who has tried to spray Laser Red.

Thanks again,
Keen Young

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Laser Red is a beautiful color... your best bet is just going to an automotive supply place and picking up pints of all the steps you need... if you practice first it should not be a prob at all... I've even had some pieces painted Laser Red at a dealer sight unseen and off my car and brought em home to bolt right up and it matches fine.. You might want to try sending a private message to RiverRojo.. he has a Rio Red cougar and that is a tri-coat as well and he painted his entire body kit himself and it matched fine... he could probably give you some great tips.. Mstanf4life sprayed some of his own Laser Red as well (I think) but I am unsure as to why his posts are blank?

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
BTW -- I priced it once myself and I think my local shop that sells PPG/HOK and other paints by the pint told me that it was like 125 a pint

·
Registered
335 Posts
Originally posted by: Crispy
BTW -- I priced it once myself and I think my local shop that sells PPG/HOK and other paints by the pint told me that it was like 125 a pint

That's a pretty fair estimate. When I painted my headlights and grill, I was charged $60 for a half-pint, so $120 for a pint. Damn that stuff is expensive.

-Eric

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
here's a good tip for you.

to cut down on paint cost simply buy a 1/2 pint of the stuff you need and buy a 1/2 pint of some really cheap light red paint. This will make it so you need less good paint in order to get full coverage and less coats.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts