New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man.. I got new exhaust, and it's on there, but boy does it rattle... RPms usually sitting at 2.5 or 3 grand.... Not sure what to do? i dont htink anythings in the trunk rattling i took all tha crap out, no help!

ANy one have a clue? thanks!

·
Administrator
11,560 Posts
See if the tips are too close to the bumper. The engine moves quite a bit under load & so will the exhaust.

Also see if the hangers near the tips, or anywhere else, came loose or are touching something. I had a problem w/the drivers side hanger (near the tip) rattling against the tow hooks under the bumper. I just had the shop bend & reweld the hanger so it was out of the way. Problem solved.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys know any way to test this? just get somoene under the car and have someone else rev it?

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
You should be able to just get under there and wiggle it with your hands and the rattle should show itself. Another area to look at is the tunnel in the middle of the car, depending on your exhaust system a wider muffler may have been used and it is a tight fit in that tunnel. I had to tighten up a couple of the mounts to help keep it from hitting the alum. heat shields.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the borla from cc.com.. Maybe thats the problem.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I have the trubendz/borla dual exhaust. It rattles everytime I shift from drive to park or to neutral, vice versa. It rattles around a lot too when I go over bumps. The problem is the hanger on the passenger side, it hits the tow hook. I'm going to cut it shorter so it won't hit it anymore. I also think the muffler hits the firewall under the car sometimes too.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts