New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

11,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is driving me up the wall.

I'm getting a rattling noise as I go over bumps from the right front tire. The trick is that I can't hear the rattle inside the car if the windows are up - I can only hear it when the windows are down and it echos off something like a building. It doesn't seem to matter whether I'm going straight, turning, braking, accelerating, etc. It is definitely the right-front; the timing is perfect (I feel the bump and hear the noise simultaneously).

I think it's getting worse, too, but I can't find the problem. I've taken the wheel off a couple times to see if I could find it, but no luck so far. Shaking the car and bouncing that corner up and down do not produce the noise. Also I can't get it to make any noise (or show any signs of problems) by shaking the wheel either top-and-bottom or side-to-side while it's on a jack stand.

A couple weeks ago, I replaced the right halfshaft (including CV joints), steering knuckle (including bearing), and lower control arm. The sway bar endlink was replaced last year, but I did disconnect it while doing the halfshaft. This noise started shortly after the halfshaft/knuckle/lower control arm job, so I'm assuming it's because of something I did then.

I've rechecked most of the bolts (although I now realize that I didn't check the sway bar endlink bolts or the lower control arm bolts...hmm...). I've played with the steering linkage and sway bar endlink and can't find any play. The steering is fine - no bumps or anything in it. Brakes are also fine, no noises or anything. The struts and springs are original, and have 80,000+ miles - so it could be something there, but I'm still leaning toward a skater-induced problem.

I'll check those bolts, but can anyone else suggest anything else I should check while I'm messing around there? Thanks!

11,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If anyone is curious, I pulled off the wheel this morning and found that the upper sway bar endlink bolt was slightly loose, perhaps a quarter turn from as tight as I could make it. I tightened it up, checked a few other things that seemed to be fine, took it for a short drive, and no rattles. Hopefully that was the problem and it stays fixed!

· Registered
861 Posts
I've had a problem like that with my civic a while back, it turned out to be the shock cover was loose, so when the sock actually compressed the cover would rattle on the bottom portion of the shock. just in case you happen to hear that noise again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.