New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The inside of my rear tires are wearing VERY fast. I just had them replaced maybe three months ago, and the inside half of the rear tire thread is already almost bald. I had an alignment done when I had the tires replaced, so I don't think that's the problem. Could this be caused by bad struts? I put eibach springs on about a year and a half ago with the stock struts, so they may be going bad on me. That's all I can think of. I still have the stock 16's on, and I think I have a minor camber problem in the front, but the back seems to be just fine. Anyone have any suggestions? I can't afford to be buying new rear tires every 3-4 months.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Sorry (I try not to post unless I have something helpful or pertinent to say), but your problem has left me at a complete loss...

I can't imagine what would be causing the uneven tire wear you are experiencing...

I'm lowered 1.8" on Roush Racing springs and running 19" wheels (ON new Motorcraft struts), and I haven't experienced any uneven and/or premature tire wear whatsoever...

Wish I could be more help, but I don't understand why you have the "issues" you've discussed.

The only thing that comes to mind is that your stock strusts are not "up to the task" of the added stress of the lowering springs.

My only advice to you (& seeing the steps you've already gone through) would be to add some quality aftermarket struts to your suspension setup (perhaps an inexpensive set of KYBs) and see if that could perhaps cure your problems.

:confused:

~CIII

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
check your inner fender walls to see if they are melting away.....

my buddy had a civic and his inner fender well (wheel well) piece was loose behind the tire and rubbed the tire like crazy....at times it got REALLY hot and melted....

never hurts to look in and see if it's rubbing.

Might (as mentioned) wanna check your struts and get your wheels balanced.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it could be cause by the struts? I imagine after riding around with the car lowered for a year and a half, they could be on there way out. I'm planning on getting some new ones within a week or two anyway, but I was hoping that maybe I'd be able to get rid of both problems at the same time. I'll definitely check the inside of the wheel well, because that seems very possible. Caterina, if I were to take my car to a shop, would they be able to put it on a lift and check to see if the trailing arms are bad?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts