New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i read that Mark will have his radio with him on saturday i thought of something. How many people here have one? I was thinking of getting one if there is several people that usually carry one on days of the meet since i don't have a cell phone. Plus it's always nice be in contact with people your riding with just in case, but not have to eat up minutes or have to pay the bill at the end of the month when using cells.
If it's a good idea for me to get one what are some good kinds that i should look at and how much should i expect to pay?

·
Registered
674 Posts
are you talking Ameture radio (ham), or Walkie talkies. The difference would be a FCC license, I have both. If you dont wanna learn the **** and take the test then talk with a bunch of other dorks like me then Motorola makes a good walkie talkie.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
FRS style, I m almost positive everyone has atleast one, and if they only have one and not more they probably got borrowed at like CougarFest etc and just forgot to return them.

Yea they are like 10bux anymore, the 5mile ones are nice, but not that needed as they cost way more. I have 2 but wont have any with me this time...

But get one for sure they are great and we use um alllll the time.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Pyro- I will have my FRS. Choose a channel- I dont care. I guess ch. 10 is ok since everyone else will be on it. I have 2 of them if I can find the other one...I let people borrow them and then they disappear forever:( If I have an extra it will prolly goto Brian though so I'd say buy one or a pair. They get used non-stop when groups of us are driving together (cougarfest, etc.).

Is radio #2 in your car Diane??? I'll look around here.

·
5,271 Posts
You can't go wrong w/ Motorola. They are usually the best. I wouldn't worry about GMRS (the 5 milers), FRS (2 milers) is plenty.

In general, a pair is $45 or $50. Other brands are Ok too, I don't have Motorola, I got mine at Sam's Club for $45 a pair w/ headsets, batteries, and carry bag last year before CougarFest. Don't remember the name.

Yes, if you're going to stick it out in Ohio NECO, they are handy. And if you remember to take them with you, they come in handy when, say, you are directing your father as he backs the boat trailer, and he can't ever hear you shout "stop!"

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
i dont have one, so if no one has an extra that i could barrow AND RETURN, then i guess i might have to fork out some dough. so let me know if you have an extra please.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, so i'll be looking for an FRS style radio, right? Cool, i gotta run a few errands tommorrow so i'll add that to my list of **** to do, lol. I can get one of those at like walmart or radioshack right?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Yea Walmart is perfect. Cheaper and easier then many places. Like mark said Motorolla is really about the bes I think.
JA-They wont be totally necessary for this meet as most events are relativly close to where we ll be the whole time. BUT in the future they are awesome, get some friends to get um to and have fun at school, mall, Cedar Point, etc.... They can be alot of fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts