New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the best radar detector to buy other than the valentine one?????

Also any good police scanners???
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
there is no other better one.. the valetine one is the best on the market...i love it... even though it costs around 400

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
don't waste your money. A radar detector is a radar detector, whether it points in the direction of the source or not. I've had my Cobra for 2 years now and its saved me from the cops everytime.

Mike

·
Registered
976 Posts
do they make in-dash radar detectors anymore? I saw some back in the early 90's but I haven't seen any in a while. I think it would be a cool addition to the center console...

·
Registered
660 Posts
Actually the best redars out arent the little box design. The best ones have 2 sensors that mount into your front grill and somewhere on the rear. Then the Lcd is mounted in your rearview mirror. They cost $1000+. They are better because they are on the outside of the car and don't have to read through glass.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea there like 1200 i think there a factory option for m3's

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Actually the best redars out arent the little box design. The best ones have 2 sensors that mount into your front grill and somewhere on the rear. Then the Lcd is mounted in your rearview mirror. They cost $1000+. They are better because they are on the outside of the car and don't have to read through glass.
Yup, you are correct here. The best radar detectors I've used have been the K40's with the front/rear mount sensors. The display goes in your gauge cluster, so cops generally don't notice it (in case its illegal in your area, like it is here). Plus, this gives you much better directional pinpointing of where the radar/laser source is at, in front, in rear, left, or right...

E1

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
yea... the valentine one has a seperate mount that u can place anywhere in ur car..just hook it up 2 the radar.. this also picked up a state cop about a mile and a half away..saved me big cuz i was flying..

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how much did you pay for you valentine one???

i never seen them in a store

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
It really doesn't matter where you place the sensors for a radar detector. At 100 feet the width of the radar beam is several yards wide and gets wider as it goes out and glass has absolutely no effect on radar since it is basically treated the same as air by radar waves. The only advantage a grill mount sensor has is that if you get pulled over you won't have a little box suction cupped to your windshield for the cop to take from you.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I was quoted 600 w/install for the sensor type detector. I can't remember the name of the mfg, but it wasn't a no name company.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I think that it's rediculous to pay that much for a f'king radar detector. I bought my uniden detector for 100 dollars at sears 2 or 3 years ago and it works great, the only times that i have been pulled over are when either the music was up to loud and i couldnt hear it going off or when cops dont have their radar on at all and im going 60 down main street (25mph limit)and they could just tell i was speeding...my friend bought his at walmart (like 50 bucks) ...when we park beside each other in a parking lost,,,sometimes his will go off and mine wont when a cop drives by...dont pay 400 buckaroos.

this radar is one of the more important purchases ive made. i can not tell how many tickets that is has saved me...definitely worth the 100 dollars. uniden is an excellent company...i have boughten other products from them other than their radar detector. id look into them.

after 3 tickets, my eyes never stop scanning oncoming vehicles for police lights on top of their roof or to see if their headlights resemble police cars. im a human radar machine, you have to pay attention to whats going on around you....constantly check rear view mirrow and on coming traffic....side roads - always look down them ....tips.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah, Im using a Cobra one than ran me about 80 bucks and its working great. Only issue Ive had was the Camaro State Trooper hitting me with laser....no time to slow down on that one, but I was only doing about 25 over on I10, so he didnt seem to care, didnt even come out from his hiding spot. (I was going pretty much with the flow of traffic).
As a side note, Im thinking of building mine into the car, I hate the way it looks and I dont like the ways cops act when they see it. Originally I was going to try to build it into the dash, but after talking to some people and thinking about putting the sensors in the grille and the display in front of the gauges. Any suggestions on doing this? I am finishing pulling out my foglight wiring soon, but am now thinking of using some of that pre done wiring for the detector.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
after 3 tickets, my eyes never stop scanning oncoming vehicles for police lights on top of their roof or to see if their headlights resemble police cars. im a human radar machine, you have to pay attention to whats going on around you....constantly check rear view mirrow and on coming traffic....side roads - always look down them ....tips.
Yup, only been pulled over 3 times myself. Once for a b.s. reason, cop was a jerk. Second time i was actually speeding, being dumb and showing off (GF), and the third time i wasn't speeding. Honest to god, but i got a ticket anyway. Only time pulled over in coug, i think he just saw my car and was like "ohhhhhh ahhhh, that's purdy" and gave me a ticket, a**. I mean, who speeds through town!?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
BEL 970LR, 3 yr warranty and the range is unbelivable! Goes for $130-180 and is the best investment yet! It doesn't help with speeding so much (your screwed with instant on radar so no detector will work) as it does when the speed zone changes from 55 to 35 for example that is where I have saved 10+ tickets the last 3 years!

Also use responsibiliy and don't think you can go 100mph, I use the mindset of identifying police radar patterns on the daily roads I use, never speeding more then 10 over until I have seen a pattern and feel I'm safe.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The ones that mount inside are car are more likely to pick up false alarms because they have to be strong enough to read through the glass. Yes, there is a big difference between the inside and outside mounts. I wouldn't personally spend that much on a radar dector, but they are better!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts