New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I was just putting my my Ford Racing wires and I noticed that the order I took them out is different than the sticker on the distributor! What is the correct pattern for the wires? I thought it was clockwise 1- 6 from front to back, but the sticker on the distributor shows the following order:

----------
| 4 6 5 |
| 3 2 1 |
----------

Is it screwed up? Or does it really go 1 front right, 2 front middle, 3 front left, 4 back left, 6 back middle, 5 back right?

·
Registered
324 Posts
:confused:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, but i am a bit new to Cougars, instead of laughing, please tell me what is it called where the plug wires connect? I honestly thought it was a distributor, I am humbled. Anyway, can you please tell me the order? Is the sticker correct that it goes 1 2 3 4 6 5?

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
IIRC that is correct... i'm sure somebody will confirm that in time. And in the future i believe that's referred to as the coil pack. :)

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
i don't beleive they plug in the same way as they are laid out..... plug your wires into the coil pack as labled, and they go to the following cylinders

Back of car
-----
1 2 3
4 5 6
-----
Front of car

·
Registered
324 Posts
1-4-2-5-3-6

·
Registered
324 Posts
sorry about the laughing, next time you do your wires take one out at a time starting from the plug follow the wire to your coil pack unplug and repeat, if you bought the ford racing wires they are labled with cylinder numbers as well once again corry about the laughing, just a little shocked. good luck

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I had this same problem. I took the wires off, and then mixed them up and couldn't figure out the order. I believe that the correct order is 123465 just like you wrote on your first post. If you do hook them up wrong, you will definitely know because your car will backfire when you hit the gas from an idle, or just have a really rough idle. I figured out the order by process of elimination! When the car runs good - you have the right order.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Just listen to puck... follow the sticker...it is right...

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
The diagram Puck gave is the firing order on the engine. The sticker on the coil is where the wire coming from that cylinder plugs into the coil.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Originally posted by: ignernt
IIRC that is correct... i'm sure somebody will confirm that in time. And in the future i believe that's referred to as the coil pack. :)
I have always referred to them as coil packs in the past and present.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Originally posted by: pgtatx
Just listen to puck... follow the sticker...it is right...
you'd think people would just try and do it the simple way wouldn't you :)

coil pack is labeled correctly....

from the coil pack into the engine, this is the cylinder arrangment on the engine

back of car
----------------
1 2 3
4 5 6
----------------
front of car

coil pack is not and should not be in the same order, or your engine would not be very well balanced..... especially when we only have 3 coils to fire 6 cylinders

1 - 13 of 13 Posts