New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...

Having a bit of confusion about the orientation of the IAT sensor in the airstream. If it is shaped like a lollipop... should it be flat against airflow (like a closed TB plate), or turned on its side so the air flows over it (like the TB at WOT)? Wondering if the actual sensor is supposed to be shrouded by the plastic loop around it or not.

Thanks,

Massiv.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Position it so the air flows around it. But it really doesnt matter so long as it is in the airstream.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. To be clear, it is to be positioned so the air hits the sensor head-on, instead of the side of the loop? Flat to the airstream like the TB plate at idle?

Thanks,

Massiv.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
again... doesn't matter.... just put it in the actual air stream and dont' worry about it's orientation

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha... Figured temperature is temperature, but I recall when I got my shortram intake about 8mo ago, it was specific on the orientation of. I won't continue to worry about it.

Massiv.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
my k&n aircharger has the IAT sensor located outside the filter. I can't really see it making a noticable difference if I drill a hole in the intake tube for it... i figure the air 3" away from the filter is within a quarter degree in temperature of whats being sucked in.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
glad something about the IAT sensor came up. I got my CAI today, and I remember someone saying that you can route the silicon hose from the little nipple on the pipe to the IAT sensor...this will work? It won't be in the direct stream of the airflow, but it seems that doesn't matter.

Mike

·
Registered
408 Posts
When properly installed in the stock air filter box, the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor is oriented so the upflowing air flows through the plastic sensor loop directly over the sensor tip.

This should not matter, however, because the IAT does not detect air flow (like the mass air flow/MAF sensor) and does not "feel" wind chill like our bodies do.

With regard to having a remote hose between the aftermarket air intake pipe nipple and the IAT sensor, this should not be necessary and could lead to inaccurate temperature readings because the sensor is not in the actual air flow.

On my and some other "short ram" intakes (although there's nothing ram air about them as manufactured) the IAT should fit into one of the nipples on the after market intake pipe. The aftermarket opening does not have the detent/twist mounts like the stock intake but, a little electrical tape wrapped around the IAT body (not blocking the sensor tip) will give you a secure friction fit when you insert it into the aftermarket nipple. Conversely, a little aluminum or duct tape wrapped around the outside of the aftermarket nipple/IAT sensor will hold it securely in place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts