New Cougar Forum banner

Quick ECU Question

854 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  LostRacer 
#1 ·
Is the only difference between the Sport and non-Sport ECU the 115 MPH governor? Any difference in timing, fuel maps, etc.?

I ask because the seller mentioned swapping the ECU in attempt to trace down the car's running issues. As for the 115 MPH thing...well... In fairness, this wasn't on level terrain.

I also ask because the Owner's Manual recommends premium for Sport Models.

#2 ·
I dont think I've ever read anything about the tune being different. As for the premium recommendation, My car seems to do pretty much the same on any grade as far as mileage and power go. Maybe a little better on premium but not much.
I suspect this may have been another place where the plan to build the HO variant may have included putting that statement in the manual but the plan fell apart too late to bother changing it. Assuming HO was intended to = SVT, that would make sense.

Reactions: JustToddSC
#4 ·
I suspect this may have been another place where the plan to build the HO variant may have included putting that statement in the manual but the plan fell apart too late to bother changing it. Assuming HO was intended to = SVT, that would make sense.
This is absolutely the case. My 2000 owner's manual calls for 87 across the board for any and all models.

#3 ·
Thanks. That all makes sense and concurs with what I've found. Basically non-Sport = 115 governor. Even on hilly terrain, the car did seem to "hit a wall." I'm sure over that speed, even more advance is needed, which is maybe another reason for the premium fuel recommendation.

Still, I wish I had the original ECU, unless it absolutely tested bad.

#5 ·
Update on this. The seller reports having no additional parts (ECU, jack, spare tire hold down, etc.). Bah. Looks like I'm stuck with the governor.

As for the fuel recommendation, I attached a page from the manual. If I had the OE ECU, I'd continue running Premium. As it stands, I'm switching to regular.

Attachments

#6 ·
Yep, confirmed - the Cougar S was not manufactured, so that section is irrelevant. But THAT'S how close we were to getting an SVT Cougar.

You're fine with 87 unless you get a tune specifically for high-octane.

Our cars are basically identical, mechanically, to the Contour SE; the Cougar S was slated to be identical, mechanically, to the SVT Contour. Which is a pretty big difference, and would have drastically changed this car's legacy. Not that you can't just drop in a 3.0 and run circles around any SVT Contour, though...

#7 ·
Ohhh! So the "Cougar S" isn't simply the "Sport Package." That makes sense. And saves me money! Still wish I had the XR (or a Sport) ECU because of the governor.

I won't be doing a 3.0 swap anytime soon. Once I get the rest of it's issues sorted, I'll probably do the SVT lite swap.

Thanks to both for clarifying the "S" thing.

#10 ·
Hardest part is finding one that includes the key chip, so you don't have to have a new one programmed.

#11 ·
FORScan alleviates that issue. It will allow you to reprogram your keys to the new ecu.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.