New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. ive read and read and just needed some clarification on wheter or not rebuilding our alt to push out more amps is bad because of the size of the alt.(read on th epost that the casing wasnt meant to handle more)

2. found a website that claims they can give me an 350 amp lifetime alt for $349 + shipping

3. Is it possible to fit a bigger alt on our cars in th esame spot as the stock one?

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
1. ive read and read and just needed some clarification on wheter or not rebuilding our alt to push out more amps is bad because of the size of the alt.(read on th epost that the casing wasnt meant to handle more)

2. found a website that claims they can give me an 350 amp lifetime alt for $349 + shipping

3. Is it possible to fit a bigger alt on our cars in th esame spot as the stock one?
I don't see why it wouldn't be, getting it in there might be a pita, does the company tell you it will fit your car? Make sure they do in case it doesn't fit and that they'll accept it being returned. I've never personally put an after market alt on cougar, I had an Ohio generator alternator on the camaro I had and it was sweet... make sure they define their idea of a "lifetime" warranty so you are clear and don't somehow void it.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Ya theres a bit of room around the cassing on the stock alt, a larger one should fit, as long as its not like 1/2 again larger, it should be ok. You might consider doing the "big three" so that added power isnt going accross the stock wiring.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah im gonna get everything in writing first......

And i already did the big 3 but im still having crazy electrical issues and im about to UPGRADE my system so im gonna need a better alt anyway.

thanks for the responses

·
Registered
311 Posts
make sure the number of bolts match too. I believe that refers to the mounting bolts. I wanted a better one in my Mercury Tracer and they said the only higher performance ones were like 4 bolt instead of 3 or whatever so they wouldn't be able to attach it.

And yeah the Cougar's wires suck majorly so sending more amps than the wimpy stock alternator can generate is a pretty bad idea. Then again if you're not adding anything to the stock wiring like better lighting and are wiring an amp or something then it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the advice....and yeah i already did the BIG 3 cause i have alot of extra stuff in the car such as

HID lights
huge stereo system
navigation
computer
etc etc....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts