New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my name is David and I believe this is my first post here.
Bought myself a nice lowish-milage manual Cougar about 2 month ago. Love the car, but I think it is a bit lacking in the "rev-engine-and-scare-old-ladies" department. Because of this, I have been thinking of installing an electric exhaust cutout. My main goals are:
  • Unaffected noise / flow resistance of the exhaust in closed valve mode for unnaffected highway noise/mpg.
  • Nice v6 scream when the valve is open, preferably without the low frequency "straight pipe" bellow.

However I have been having some wondering some stuff of a more practical nature:

-Where is a good place for the cutout? I have been thinking about putting it in front of the first silencer (the long one, that I believe is targeted at lower frequencies) and thus bypassing just the two last silencers. Since the temperature is lower here (than just after the cat) the electric motor should last longer.

-Is it advisable to rotate the cutout y-pipe 180 degrees and therefore have it exhausting in the wrong direction? My reason for this is mostly curiosity, but in my mind would this create lower flow resistance of the closed valve and also create higher backpressure for the open valve to make the engine retain low rev performance. Acoustically, the angle of the sidebranch matters little.

-Can the cheap Amazon 150 dollar electric cutouts be trusted? I obviously don't want it to start leaking as this is both dangerous (CO in cabin), and will increase noise.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
I think the answer to the question will be wherever it will fit. I suspect the easiest solution would be on the main cat outlet flange since there's already a flange there and fairly long stretch of straight pipe in a protected location.
Consult your local exhaust shop.
Personally, I would find a way to pipe it out the rear, not just dump it under the car, but that's probably just me. I wouldn't want all that noise and exhaust directly under the car.
As for the cheap cutouts, I would try it. I dont see any reason that device needs to be expensive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!
I think the answer to the question will be wherever it will fit. I suspect the easiest solution would be on the main cat outlet flange since there's already a flange there and fairly long stretch of straight pipe in a protected location.
Consult your local exhaust shop.
Personally, I would find a way to pipe it out the rear, not just dump it under the car, but that's probably just me. I wouldn't want all that noise and exhaust directly under the car.
As for the cheap cutouts, I would try it. I dont see any reason that device needs to be expensive.
Are you referring to the flange at 9 in the following schemtic?
Exhaust System With Catalyst FORD Cougar 1998-2000 (MC)
I don't quite remember how tight it is there (because of heat shields) but you are right, that would be an unfortunate place for a leak and therefore would probably need a tailpipe. What do you think about just before the muffler at point 16, there it would be easy to create a second tailpipe, if one of those streches are long enough that is (guess I'll have to use a measuring stick under the car :) ).

At least start with headers and a high-flow Y-pipe.
I'm not quite sure what you are referring to. As I stated, I am not really in need of more horsepower. Or do you mean that it won't sound good otherwise? I guess I could try to disconnect the exhaust at some place to hear if it sounds as good as I imagine.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,008 Posts
Just to editorialize a little -

A 2.5 with an open exhaust isn't going to scare much of anyone - folks will just assume you're some poverty case who can't afford to fix his exhaust leak.

Really, they sound awful without proper exhaust tuning.

But you do you. I would recommend (short of installing a proper exhaust system and/or headers) placing your cutout BEHIND the large silencer so you at least have a little something to calm down the rasp. From the way you describe the sound you're after, that would fit the bill. Eliminating both mufflers would probably melt your brain, and not in a nice way.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

Are you referring to the flange at 9 in the following schemtic?
Exhaust System With Catalyst FORD Cougar 1998-2000 (MC)
I don't quite remember how tight it is there (because of heat shields) but you are right, that would be an unfortunate place for a leak and therefore would probably need a tailpipe. What do you think about just before the muffler at point 16, there it would be easy to create a second tailpipe, if one of those streches are long enough that is (guess I'll have to use a measuring stick under the car :) ).
That drawing isn't quite what we have in the US. If thats what your system looks like, than yes, it looks like eliminating that middle muffler and replacing it with a cutout might be an easy choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts