New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I started building my 3L and have a couple of questions. First I will be using 2.5L heads with SVT cams.

-Which specific head gasket will I have to use 3L or for the 2.5L?
-Will I have to use the large sprocket chain kit with this setup?
-Will I have to change my oil pan and pickup to the 2.5L from the 3L?
-Where is a good place to get main bearings and piston rings?

This is all I can think of now of the top of my head I'm sure I will have plenty more questions so bare with me guys I'm learning as fast as I can

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Originally posted by: BLACKFXGT
Well I started building my 3L and have a couple of questions. First I will be using 2.5L heads with SVT cams.

-Which specific head gasket will I have to use 3L or for the 2.5L?
-Will I have to use the large sprocket chain kit with this setup?
-Will I have to change my oil pan and pickup to the 2.5L from the 3L?
-Where is a good place to get main bearings and piston rings?

This is all I can think of now of the top of my head I'm sure I will have plenty more questions so bare with me guys I'm learning as fast as I can
No offense, but you are asking elementary engine building questions ... are you sure that you are up to taking this project on?

If so, here are some answers:

1) Think about this for a few seconds ... 3.0L block = larger bore than 2.5L, so a 2.5L Head Gasket would protrude into the combustion chamber on a 3L block ... wouldn't be good for anything other than blowing up the engine.

2) Yes, the 2.5L SVT cams use the large pitch chains

3) Depends on the 3L that you get. 01+ Escapes, you will not. 1999+ Taurus/Sable engines, yes ... completely different incompatable oil pans.

4)
Rod Bearings thru CV Products

Unfortunately, CV does not carry the mains, but they might be able to special order them for since they do sell quite a bit of Clevite 77 bearings to dirt track/oval track racers (their main business).

The mains part number is: MS-2207

Pistons rings can be gotten from RockAuto.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tell you the truth this is not my first engine builds as I have worked on Millenias and 3000GT's. The confusion arrose becuase this is not a straight build it's a hybrid so this is why I was asking. Also the 3L had 80K miles and the heads around 30K is it recomended to deck the block and the heads or is there some way to check if it needs to be done?

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
Don't deck the block unless it really really needs it. This is a DOHC so you will end up putting more slack into the timing chains if you deck the bock or heads too much. Also the piston to valve clearance is almost nill so you will kill yourself there also. I'd say leave it or if you are worried about it find one with lower miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.