New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our family has decided to get one of these to replace our old 89 Jeep Cherokee...
Just wondering what people's opinion on it is. My parents like the way it looks, and performance is not really an issue for them.
We found a fully loaded 2001 at a dealership nearby and are seriously considering buying it. It has 40,000 km (not miles) on it, but no warranty left as the 3 years since it was bought is already over.
Are these trucks known for any particular problems? I believe it has a 4.0L SOHC V6 and has 4x4 as well.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
one guy at work has one, he calls the truck "Betty" as in "Betty Ford"... make sure it is the newer one with 5 speed auto. the older 4 speed auto sucks a lot more gas.

the sport trac is essentially the orignial Explorer with the back converted into pickup truck bed. Explorers are one of the most reliable SUV on the market so there is not too much to worry about especially if it is RWD. 4WD tends to complicate things a little.

oh and I suppose that it should have new (non-Firestone) tires on it as well. So other than potential gas mileage concern it is a pretty safe and reliable truck.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i think the 5-speed auto is on the 2003, but not the 2001....something that they are just going to have to live with since they don't want to shell out the dough for the newer one. They are only concerned about the reliability issue. They want to get an extended warranty, but i am trying to talk them out of it.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
I own a 1996 Explorer Sport 4x4 with the old 4.0L OHV, not the SOHC. I bought it with 92 miles on the odometer and it now has 124,000 miles! This engine is tightly built ... I drain exactly the same amount of oil I put in 3,000 miles ago ... not a single drop of consumption. I just wish that the rest of the truck was built so well. Don't get me wrong, I love the truck, but there are quite a few sqeeks now ... 124K miles can do that though. Not to mention, I actually use my 4x4 everytime I can.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds like it has a good track record....if we can talk them down to the right price, i think we'll seal the deal tomorrow...
they want almost 26k CDN, but we will try to get them down to 22k...

G

·
Not to pop anyone's bubble, but I'd say about 50% of what my dealership's shop makes profit on is Explorer engine rebuilds. ONly it's the late 90's models.. I guess FastCougar got one of the rare ones. I haven't seen too many SportTrac's in there tho, besides oil changes 'n stuff.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did those old explorers have the same engine that the current sport trac has? the 4.0L SOHC? trevor said his a was different...

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Mccrudti: My sister drives a 96 Explorer Sport with the 4.0 OHV V6 in it just cracking over 140K MILES and not a problem thing runs like a champ. i can only pray myc ar is runnign at all to hit that kinda number. it is also a 5 speed stick no auto so the tranny problems the early to mid 980's explorers had is not a problem for her...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.