New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, well I've got a sale pending for a SVT UIM off a 2000, and I'm a 2000, so I don't need the LIM, but I still need the bracket, TB, cable(s), and gaskets.
1. Now what gaskets do I need? Can I use the existing ones by chance?
2. As for the cable, I am an MTX w/ CC, what do I need here?
3. When I called a dealer, he didn't know what I was talking about when I said "TB Bracket", is there anything else it might be called?
4. And does it matter what year the TB is like it does for the UIM's, or are they all the same?
5. I checked the for sale section and no one had any of these for sale, I know I should be able to find the TB on ebay, but where is the cheapest place to get all this stuff generally?

·
Administrator
15,601 Posts
1. Now what gaskets do I need? Can I use the existing ones by chance?
You will need gaskets for the UIM, TB, EGR, IACV...I think that's it, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I would not use the existing gaskets.

2. As for the cable, I am an MTX w/ CC, what do I need here?
You will need the accelerator cable from an SVT Contour.

3. When I called a dealer, he didn't know what I was talking about when I said "TB Bracket", is there anything else it might be called?
Throttle Body Bracket? See the part numbers I've listed below.

4. And does it matter what year the TB is like it does for the UIM's, or are they all the same?
I believe all of the SVT throttle bodys are the same.

5. I checked the for sale section and no one had any of these for sale, I know I should be able to find the TB on ebay, but where is the cheapest place to get all this stuff generally?
Bill Jenkins at Team Ford - 800-791-6436.

Part numbers:

SVT UIM - 1S8Z-9424-AA
UIM to LIM gaskets - F5RZ-9H486-B
SVT LIM (needed if your car is built before 5/99) - F7RZ-9U531-AA
see above LIM to Head gaskets - F5RZ-9439-B
SVT TB - F7RZ-9E926-AA
SVT TB Gasket - YS8Z-9E936-AA
SVT TB Bracket - FR8Z-9677-AA
SVT Throttle Cable - XS8Z-9A758-CA
IAC Gasket - (n/a)
EGR Gasket - E6AZ-9D476-B

I would also pull off your LIM and give it a thorough cleaning while you're at it. You'll most likely find it very full of carbon. Valvoline throttle body cleaner works very, very well for this. If you do this, you will also need the LIM gasket (part number listed above). It's fairly simple..just be very careful removing the fuel rail.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,932 Posts
Pretty solid list, Wade - BUT I would stay away from Contour throttle cables - the geometry on the motor is the same, but the geometry inside the firewall is different, and causes problems. A throttle cable from an Automatic-transaxle-equipped Cougar is your best bet.

Incidentally - I currently have a Contour throttle cable (junkyard) on my SVT setup, and I had to cut the sleeve back A LOT to get it to reach the pedal. The Cougar pedal has way more travel than the Contour pedal.

·
Premium Member
12,347 Posts
Originally posted by: Bennett9000
Pretty solid list, Wade - BUT I would stay away from Contour throttle cables - the geometry on the motor is the same, but the geometry inside the firewall is different, and causes problems. A throttle cable from an Automatic-transaxle-equipped Cougar is your best bet.

Incidentally - I currently have a Contour throttle cable (junkyard) on my SVT setup, and I had to cut the sleeve back A LOT to get it to reach the pedal. The Cougar pedal has way more travel than the Contour pedal.
that would have been goo to know yesterday when i ordered a csvt throttle cable. if this is the case then why does everyone recomend using it:shrug:

·
Registered
421 Posts
I also have been using the csvt one with no problems.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Im using a Contour one too and didn't have to DO ANYTHING to it to make it work. Direct fit for me...

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,932 Posts
To be fair, my cable was not from an SVT Contour, it was from a base V6 Contour. But I did have to modify it pretty significantly to make it fit.

I assumed the SVT cable was the same as the regular Contour cable.

Hm!

·
So its begun.....
16,842 Posts
Originally posted by: Bennett9000
To be fair, my cable was not from an SVT Contour, it was from a base V6 Contour. But I did have to modify it pretty significantly to make it fit.

I assumed the SVT cable was the same as the regular Contour cable.

Hm!
:kick: Bad B3NNET! ;)

Good Info overall!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.