New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to hard wire an adapter for an ipod into a factory radio?

I want to do this to my jeep without having to purchase an aftermarket radio.
And I dont want to go with the FM transmitter cause it doent work so well when your driving around where you dont get a decent reception.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Anyone know how to hard wire an adapter for an ipod into a factory radio?

I want to do this to my jeep without having to purchase an aftermarket radio.
And I dont want to go with the FM transmitter cause it doent work so well when your driving around where you dont get a decent reception.
Why doesn't the FM modulator work? I can take the antenna off my car and my XM still picks up my radio. It does better with no antenna because you don't get bleed through and static when a channel is on the channel your FM modulator is using.

I do know a guy that had to spend 65 bucks to get the adaptor to hard wire his IPod. I don't think the stock units have an input on them though.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have xm and my radio doesnt work all that well unless the antenna is plugged directly into the unit.

I just dont want to purchase the FM modulator for the ipod.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
i know best buy is where the guy I know bought his Ipod connector for stock head unit. There just pricey.

thats odd about the XM thing though. I mean My XM antena is connected but my other antenna doesn't matter either way.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont have the casset deck in the jeep so its not the greatest. Might just be the location of my xm antenna :shrug: Who knows.. I just wanted to listen to my ipod when I am doing some things for work. Oh well, thanks for the info.

I wont allow Best Buy or Circuit City "car audio techs" to install stuff in my car. They couldnt install stuff in my cougar properly, I always ended up doing it myself.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I dont have the casset deck in the jeep
i was thinking if u had the casset player, you could just go get one of the tape adapters that everyone had for a walkman from radio shack. just plug it in the headphone jack and insert tape and you're good to go.

but since you said you don't have a casset player, nevermind.

i've seen those ipod adapters for stock radios but they are kinda expensive since the stock unit doesn't have an aux input. i've also heard that if they aren't installed perfectly, you'll get some fuzzing and some sounds quailty issues. you really might be better off buying a new head unit with an aux input. you could probably get a nice one for the same price or a little more than the ipod adapter. if it were me, i'd get a new headunit just to make life easier.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
also, some newer cars come with an extra plug mounted on the dash for an ipod plug in. my dad just got an 07 f150 that came with it. i don't know a lot about jeeps, but you may want to check with a dealer to see if there was an option for that and maybe just get an kit from them to instal one.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also, some newer cars come with an extra plug mounted on the dash for an ipod plug in. my dad just got an 07 f150 that came with it. i don't know a lot about jeeps, but you may want to check with a dealer to see if there was an option for that and maybe just get an kit from them to instal one.

I will check with Fred Martin and see. Mines an 2004 so I am not sure.

I just dont want my dash taken apart. I had such a headache with the cougar and getting stuff to fit properly.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
No no no... fm modulator's suck and have poor quality like you mentioned.

You can pick up the cable itself and install it. I believe you just need to splice a wire, or maybe the stock headunit had a plug in. I can't remember. My old room mate installed it himself in his Jeep. It sounded really good. The stereo system stayed stock looking, since Jeep's are extremely easy to steal car audio from. Buying an aftermarket hu is a bad idea.

I belive it was this
You could always go to CC, or BB and find out what you really need. Buy it from them, or online somwhere, and then install it yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts