New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe my RR koni is shot. I checked everthing with a fine tooth comb and it still feels much more limp than all other corners. It's been a progressive feeling so there is not much dirt on the exterior from leaked oil if any. For those of you who have installed Konis or have a set in front of you not in your car yet, can you give me a qualitative description of how much force/resistance it takes to compress/extend the strut. I've got my perches cut for my GC's so warrnty is void and my only other course is negoitate a replacement at my cost or rebuild them which will cost nearly what I paid for them back before the price hike.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Its hard to give you a estimate of the resistance since they are adjustable.... im assuming you did try adjusting them right?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by: Moraki
Its hard to give you a estimate of the resistance since they are adjustable.... im assuming you did try adjusting them right?
Umm...yeah....I've actually tuned it through track usage so I know how it felt previously...unless they magically unadjusted themselves. Anyone else?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I just bought a new koni for the front left. I took the old koni out and when I pressed on the strut it went down easy but did not push up or rebound like it should. With the new koni I bought it went down just as easy as the old one but it would rebound back every time it was pushed down, and that was on the softest setting. Maybe you can try that, if you can take the strut off the car and see if it rebounds.
Hope that helps you a little.

David

·
Registered
408 Posts
Originally posted by: CbOy2000
I just bought a new koni for the front left. I took the old koni out and when I pressed on the strut it went down easy but did not push up or rebound like it should. With the new koni I bought it went down just as easy as the old one but it would rebound back every time it was pushed down, and that was on the softest setting. Maybe you can try that, if you can take the strut off the car and see if it rebounds.
I'm not a Koni owner yet but, I thought they came with a lifetime warranty?

Please tell me at almost $200 apiece they stand behind their products!

·
Premium Member
12,347 Posts
Originally posted by: Joemm

lifetime warranty is standard. if you use ground controls though you must cut the perch off, thus voiding the warranty.
and last time i checked they were only about 150 a piece, but that price may have gone up.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Originally posted by: timeless420
Originally posted by: Moraki
Umm...yeah....I've actually tuned it through track usage so I know how it felt previously...unless they magically unadjusted themselves. Anyone else?
Actually people have been reporting some konis are adjusting themselves. Do a search or at least check what they are set at now, before you disregard advice you requested.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Originally posted by: Joemm

Yea they have a lifetime warranty but only if you're the original owner of the struts and have the receipt to prove it. I bought these from another member so i had to fork out the cash for a new one.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I don't know if I believe this. When I purchased my Koni's, I called Koni themselves asking about the warranty. They told me that if I cut the perches, then warranty *might* be voided. If a strut was damaged or broken, I'd have to send the strut to them, with a detailed letter describing my problem, etc., and they would determine if the problem was caused by cutting off the perch. If they determine it was not caused my cutting off the perch, then you get a new strut, free.

Same thing happend with my B&M STS. The selector knob that was welded on to the very bottom of the shifter actually fell off (leaving me stranded in the middle of no where). I was not the original owner of the B&M shifter, and had no receipt. I sent the shifter back to B&M, with a detailed letter, and they sent me a new one (that actually was a later model with a much nicer shifter knob, heh heh).

So, in short, call Koni. They will know for sure. And report back here! :)

Goodluck,
Darrell.

·
Administrator
11,731 Posts
Maybe if someone explained to Koni that many companies sell their product aimed at the Cougar and state that the perch must be cut.

It serves no functional purpose to the operation of the strut itself. It just deflects dirt.

And I'm one of those people who has their Koni's adjust themselves over time. But only in the front.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
atlas said:
I don't know if I believe this. When I purchased my Koni's, I called Koni themselves asking about the warranty. They told me that if I cut the perches, then warranty *might* be voided. If a strut was damaged or broken, I'd have to send the strut to them, with a detailed letter describing my problem, etc., and they would determine if the problem was caused by cutting off the perch. If they determine it was not caused my cutting off the perch, then you get a new strut, free.

Same thing happend with my B&M STS. The selector knob that was welded on to the very bottom of the shifter actually fell off (leaving me stranded in the middle of no where). I was not the original owner of the B&M shifter, and had no receipt. I sent the shifter back to B&M, with a detailed letter, and they sent me a new one (that actually was a later model with a much nicer shifter knob, heh heh).

So, in short, call Koni. They will know for sure. And report back here! :)

Goodluck,
Darrell.

I called them back when I was in Chicago (time to burn at airport). No perch = no warranty. They claim it changes how the strut flexes by adding the collar thus causing premature wear on the seals.

For now it is totally shot, but I have a plan to get it replaced. I will let you know if it works.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Mine auto-adjusted themselves, as well. In fact, after hitting a major pothole on Friday and screwing the alignment up it was acting funny (even after I got the alignment fixed). Last nite I re-adjusted all of my struts, and the front that hit the pothole was set wrong, and the opposing rear was as well. (Was making my car VERY sloppy in the corners, lol.) All fixed now, just a bit of adjustment, some times around the block and she was good.

E1

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
timeless420 said:
I called them back when I was in Chicago (time to burn at airport). No perch = no warranty. They claim it changes how the strut flexes by adding the collar thus causing premature wear on the seals.
Seriously?!? Nice to know Koni practally lied to me when I called them 2-3 years ago. *Humph* Makes me start and think they only wanted the sale. This should be added the the Suspension FAQ - "Koni's 'Lifetime Warranty' is VOID when cutting off the perches!"

:mad:

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Koni Warranty:

The KONI warranty is a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser against defects in materials and workmanship and against wear out for as long as you own that car registered for street use. The warranty does not cover damage to the parts caused by misuse, misapplication, installation, motorsports, etc. The warranty does not include mounting bushings. If you determine you have a defective damper you can either contact the company which you purchased the unit(s) from or contact KONI North America directly at [email protected] or 859-586-4100. To process your warranty, we will require a copy of the purchase receipt and a vehicle registration. We will generate a return goods authorization (RGA) and can replace the dampers in advance at your discretion. For more specific information about the warranty see inside back cover of our technical guide.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Yeah, so, in short, they should be able to take the strut, examine it, and determine if cutting off the perch actually did harm to the strut. If not, they should replace the strut. I'd fight this one. And if they absolutely will not warranty any strut with the perch cut off, then no company should be allowed to sell coil-over sets with instrutions on how to cut the perches off (unless they have specifically stated that it will void warranty).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.