New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot about shifting an automatic cougar, but tonight was the first time I tried it. I don't trust the ATX tranny so I wasn't sure about exactly what to do. First of all, does it even do anything? Is the car actually quicker? If so, when is the best time to shift to the next gear? (My guages have no redline) And also, while you're giving the gas, and shift into '2', are you supposed to let off the gas or can you just keep your foot down the whole way until you hit 'D'?

Mike

·
Registered
593 Posts
Manually shifting the gears won't give you any better speed for straight lines. I think someone ran theirs at the track and lost about a half a second. Now, for turning and coming out of corners it helps to be in second rather than having it shift up to fourth and then back down to second.

Shift around 6000 rpms for best results. There isn't much power beyond that and the gauge is a little off.

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Incorrect. Manually shifting actually does pick up on track times. Why? Because even though you're not making as much power in the top end, it's dropping you down into a much nicer spot on the torque curve. At the track, I consistently run almost a half second FASTER when manually shifting then I do when letting the car do its thing.
You never have to take your foot off the accelerator; leave it to the floor. For shifting, you should shift from 1 to 2 when the tach hits 6000rpm, and then from 2-D when it hits 6500rpm. This will shift you around 6750-6900rpm each time. No US-spec Cougars came with redlines on their tachs. :)

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
About the same amount of time it takes a bear to hibernate in winter. :tongue:

An automatic 2.5L Cougar takes a long time to go from 0 to 100km/h. I believe somewhere in the 9-second range.

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
About 9 sec is right. I ran several g-tech timed runs from 0-60 mph (0-100km/h = 0-62 mph) back when my car was stock and they ranged from 8.8 to 9.1 sec.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think its about the same for my cugar, what can i do so it can accelerate faster. Is the ECU upgrade a good thing.
Is it safe to shift gears with the automatic transmission.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts