New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i'm wanting to get an exhaust, probably dual. All i know is i want a deep and not <u>too</u> loud sound, semi louder than stock yes, but i don't want that high pitch honda duck in the ass end sound. I was thinking of buying 2 mufflers with round exits (the ones that bend up near the end if i could find em) and going to a muffler shop and having them run a pipe from the cats back to the back (cut out the muffler right near the cat) and having the y pipe put on and then having the 2 new mufflers with the round exits coming out the back. My only thing is i'm not sure how that would sound and if i should go for something different. I don't know if i really wanna order a whole new exhaust "kit" cause they are fairly expnesive and i know a muffler shop that i can get work done at for semi cheap. I just need to know where i can get some of the mufflers with the bent up round exits (not resonated so it doesn't sound like a duck) and if the layout i described is the best way to go for deep and not annnoyingly loud but semi loud. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
i got the weapon r headers and y-pipe. i kept the stock cat, but after the cat it is enlarged 2 1/2 piping to a glass pack muffler y off at the end to dual outlet single DTM tip. come to opry mills tomorrow and hear it for your self
dual exit tips

wapon-r headers and y-pipe

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Something for you to ponder on if you are looking to make maximum horsepower or just want an exhaust. A better flowing exhaust will obviously yield more HP. The dual exhaust kits are shaped like this "--[." The exhaust flow gets slammed into the y-shaped portion, causing the gasses to slow down. So if you having yours made by a local shop and are set on duals, then see if they can construct one shaped like this, "--<" for better flow. Of course you wouldn't want it to be shaped totally like that. You'd want extensions so it would come out from under the car straight instead of at an angle as depicted. Keep in mind that a single exit exhaust will have fewer bends and better flow.

You should have your exhaust shop look at what will fit under the car. My shop said the mufflers I wanted wouldn't fit. I wanted mine totally concealed at the rear of the car, because they were not polished or show worthy and would rust over time. Something that is polished will work, assuming they will fit in the allotted space. As far as sound goes, you should go to a cougar meet, listen and ask. Borla is the quietest exhaust I have heard on a Coug. I am using a Dynomax turbo muffler which is somewhere in the middle of the decibel scale. Do you have a v6? You shouldn't get a bumble bee sound from any exhaust if you do.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
exactly what jeremy is saying with the dual exit, i had them make a custom ---< on the exits of the exhaust come tomorrow and crawl underneath to take a look. my car sounds mean....hehehe

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
exactly what jeremy is saying with the dual exit, i had them make a custom ---< on the exits of the exhaust come tomorrow and crawl underneath to take a look. my car sounds mean....hehehe

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, i didn't even think of the piping like that. I have a v6 AT and its not exactly fast so i figured i might spend more money on looks than speed so i don't guess it would be a big deal, however, extra hp is always nice. I'd like to come up to the meet but i don't have time today :( 3 hour trip for me. Maybe nextime something comes up i'll be able to cause i really wanna see some peoples cars and get some ideas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts