·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When connecting subs in series, do you run the cabling like this::

Positive on Amp -> Positive on Sub #1
Negative on Sub #1 -> Positive on Sub #2
Negative on Sub #2 -> Negative on Amp

Or do you connect it differently? Question being I have two 4ohm subs that I want to drive at 2ohms, so I'm looking to see how to connect the two together to get the ohm rating right.

·
Registered
198 Posts
i Think the way you have described would be 8 ohms b/c the subs are in a series. You need them to be in parallel. If im wrong someone please correct me. But it should go.

Positive on amp -> Positive on sub 1
Positive on sub 1 -> positive on sub 2

Negative on amp -> neg. on sub1
negative on sub1 -> neg. on sub 2

The theory behind it is that there are two paths at which the electricity can go through, thus reducing the resistance. check out this site, its also has a little diagram, just replace the resistors with subs.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
2 four ohm subs cant be wired to produce a 2 ohm load <----sorry my bad they can if they are not dual 4 's

clearly yours arent so the wiring would go like this..wiring in parallel will cut your speakers resistance in half......ahh **** the pic wont come up but it just goes
+ amp to + speaker 1 to + speaker 2
- amp to - speaker 1 to - speaker 2
basically one long line with each side i will try to get the pic working
obviously you wont split the wires like that but yo u should get the idea from that...hopefully you subs have two tabs for each pos and neg then you can split the wires there..easy way to do it..
see attachment
i hope your amp is rated down to two ohms when bridged..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.