New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get some ideas going on how to remove some of the needless wieght from the Cougar. I can name a thousand ways, but I'm trying to keep the car eye appealing and fully functional for the most part. I've listed a couple ways below, so I'm hoping some others can list some ways I haven't thought of. I've highlighted the ones I've done already.

1. Getting Hood pins and removing all hood release/latch parts estimated weight 5lbs?
2. Removing all carpet/plastic and rear cargo cover in trunk 5lbs? (note: I did this and when the heat is on outside noise increases due to some vents that open in trunk area, but not bad)
3. Remove crappy looking plastic on rims only <1/2lb but looks better to me
4. Better Rims (weight depends on rims)
5. Remove Airbags and components 20lbs
6. Rear Windshield Wiper and Motor and parts 3lbs?
7. Remove antenna and replace with windshield version <1/2lb
8. Removing rear seats completely ~15-20lbs??? ([email protected] passengers...you only need one which better be a hot chick)
9. Plastic on grill and front bumper (black pieces) ~2lbs?
10. Cut some metal from doors >5lbs???
11. Better Seats (non electric) >10lbs?

Oh and these two:
12. Getting rid of the fat chick riding passenger and replacing with a thinner girl ~50lbs any more than that you need new shocks too
13. Putting yourself on a diet ~10lbs

can anyone think of anyothers??

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
In all, I think you're only going to be able to remove about 70 pounds total (this depends on the rims), so I'm not a hundred percent sure that you'll get any extra power/boost out of that decrease...

But you could also remove the entire sound system, somewhere around 6 lbs for everything.

G

·
If you want to reduce weight here are some suggestions;
1. Get a light weight 3 core radiator.
2. change all the water fittings that are made out of titanium
3. change the water pump
4. change out the engine mounts
5. headers and exhaust, remove the catalytic converter (emission issue)
6. get underdrive pulleys.
7. change all the suspension bushings for the urethane ones they are lighter.
8. remove the front & rear bumpers (safety issue)
9. change all the suspension parts for the high strength aluminum ones
10. change out the rotors for the cross drilled ones
11. remove the heater core. and the a/c compressor.
12. change out the fuel tank for the fuel cell.

These are just some thoughts.

·
Registered
478 Posts
This doesn't apply to you Rodney but for you guys with auto's, you could chop off your left leg. :biggrin:

·
Registered
275 Posts
This doesn't apply to you Rodney but for you guys with auto's, you could chop off your left leg.
lmao

RodneyBur, when you removed your interior and stuff did you gut the ceiling too. (just a thought) and if you have the money go with a carbon fiber hood. They look tight plus they are alot lighter.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only removed the carpet and plastic that was in the trunk so far. If I ever go to the track I am definately going to remove my seats, carpet, and plastic in the main cabin. I want to keep my car eye appealing and comfortable too. I hardly ever use my trunk anymore so why should I have all that extra weight back there?

I took the carpet and seats out of my camaro because the carpet was wet due to a leak in the fire wall. I could definately notice a difference in the speed of the car. It felt lighter and quicker.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
You forgot a few.

How about:

Replacing Factory hood with a Fiberglass or Carbon fiber hood ~ 20-40 lbs. closer to 40 for CF hoods

Replacing Factory front seats with aftermarket seats ~ another 20+ lbs a piece. like sparco, recaro or whatever.

Just doing that alone would prolly drop near 100 lbs or so. I've heard the factory seats were heavy. I'm figuring 50 lbs for the whole assembly.
Somebody can correct me if i'm wrong.

Quote:
1. Getting Hood pins and removing all hood release/latch parts estimated weight 5lbs?
2. Removing all carpet/plastic and rear cargo cover in trunk 5lbs? (note: I did this and when the heat is on outside noise increases due to some vents that open in trunk area, but not bad)
3. Remove crappy looking plastic on rims only <1/2lb but looks better to me
6. Rear Windshield Wiper and Motor and parts 3lbs?
7. Remove antenna and replace with windshield version <1/2lb
9. Plastic on grill and front bumper (black pieces) ~2lbs?
10. Cut some metal from doors >5lbs???

Dude is this really worth the effort for the "gains"? or losses in this case. ;)

If you really want to dump weight you can also remove the A/C system there's another 20 lbs or so.

·
Registered
472 Posts
every 100 lbs. is a tenth of a second, so if you ditch 100 lbs. of stuff out of your car you will pick up a tenth of a second on your quater mile time. you probably already knew that but i just figured i'd throw that in there for ya. im pretty sure thats right, i used to hang out with alot of street racers and they had the **** narrowed down to a science. i always say, " you are only as fast as your wallet". good luck man

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read that about a year ago when it was in the magazine. It was a pretty good article. I would do that to an old honda, but not my cougar.

Do you think they got it all back together before the guy showed up to pick up his car?

And.... I like fast cars, not fast chunks of metal with an engine.

·
Registered
780 Posts
i pulled my back seats, and weighed them at 14 pounds a piece for just the top part, and i pulled my spare tire (25 lbs) and i pulled the cargo cover (5 lbs) and the trunk carpet(11 lbs). I pulled the dinky little jack for the spare, and that was 8lbs. For a grand total so far of 77 lbs. Feels alot faster now, and i can hear my fuel pump whirring when im idling. Next im getting a head package for my engine. That will be sometime next year though. BTW, it feels good to have a lighter car. The back seats are rediculous anyway.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
personally what i'm doing and have done is;

1. drycell battery
2. z3 fenders
3. cf or fg hood
4. lightweight rims(like OZ's)
5. take all sound deadening material out of the interior of the car(did this)
6. 5 mph bumpers
7. racing seats

alot of the things i've read here are small chunks of weight but weight is weight. try going for the bigger things. our cars weigh a good chunk so if you could get your weight down to around 2600 your doing very well. anything less than that then i would think your starting to get into making the car look ugly cause really there ain't to much significant things that can save you a big chunk of weight.

anyone who tells you weight don't matter. don't listen.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Originally posted by: Drivin4fun
This doesn't apply to you Rodney but for you guys with auto's, you could chop off your left leg.
lmao

RodneyBur, when you removed your interior and stuff did you gut the ceiling too. (just a thought) and if you have the money go with a carbon fiber hood. They look tight plus they are alot lighter.
haha that was hilarious!

i hate atx cars..... just my preference but still....

as for weight saving, try this... remove your entire dash board and tape down your gauges for view

the rest of your car is empty so why not

in all seriousness though, you can loss ½ an lb if you look behind in teh corners of the rear passengers foot space.... like blow the seats in the corner

there's a piece of plastic in each side.. remove that :) ti got in my way system wriing so just left em out

also get rid of the rear windshield wiper... and do the front one wiper in the front now that's a copuel of lbs

now you cna get rid of 72.5lbs :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If it were just for a week or so, I would say to remove your door panels, front and rear. Those are probably 5 lbs a piece. Something else is to never put more than a quarter tank of gas in. Perhaps a smaller battery or moving it to the trunk for better weight distribution.(may not be worth it, as you would need to add large gauge cables which in turn weigh a ton.)

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
i've heard that depending on your power band and what gauge cable you use.... i would say go with a 4 gauge or better 2 gauge etc.

you actually will gain from it. Your forgetting htat our battery is a on a metal mount that you can now remove :)

but I raced my friend with out my 100 lb system and we were even, i put in the 100lbs system, and yes we weighed it as best we could.
(weighed out to be 130, but we said 100)

now we raced again and he beat me by maybe a foot, weight isn't as big a deal as youd' think. Unless your running 11.1's and you want to run 10's it's not worth it much.

G

·
come on guys where's your head at try this one on for size: Light weight flywheel:11.5 lbs, lexan rear windows and if your lucky the front one also, just replacing the glass is 50 or 75 lbs alone, CF hood and fenders, toss the power robbing a/c compressor,stereo components, always run on a 1/2 tank ( there's usually a gas station on every corner). I'd say that with these along with the other suggestions you should drop 2-3 hunderd lbs.( now you're on the scale with an RSXs pritty good) :biggrin: :poke:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.