New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
putting 3.5s in vents

At my local circuit city, they have these Infinity Reference REF 3002CF's for 30 bucks a pair open box. I just measured the opening for the vents and they are about 3.3 inches with the grey extension but just the opening on the dash is about 3.5.

Before I go buy these, has anybody tried to throw 3.5's in their vents?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
RE: putting 3.5s in vents

Ack, I am just going to buy them and try it out

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE:putting 3.5s in vents

Took me about 25 minutes. I am powering the speaker with the built in amp on my headunit since the speaker can only handle 25watts rms. It is a bridged channel from left and right.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
unique idea... cna't tell form the pics if i like or not

does it sound good having those up front highs?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Dont you think you should just block off the outside vents, and keep the center vents for AC/Heat. The center vents push alot harder, so i would figure you would want to keep those. Also, did you block off the ac path?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I blocked off the entire side where the Speaker is located. I filled the open space up with foam then covered it with heavy duty duct tape.

Well I have Crystal Audio components in the front so I have already had the highs, but now with this center speaker the sound is much more full feeling. The music feels like it is coming from all around rather than the distinctive left and right.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would be a lot of work to stealth the speaker. I originally wanted it to be like that but it had to come to this. I am also thinking of putting the other 3.5 on the center console on the flip up piece. I would stealth this speaker.

D

·
0 Posts
I like it Did the same thing with the pyle 1 inch 300watt dome tweets with a seperate volume control because they need to be adjusted per type of music. Nice Job.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
that looks sweet! great idea! and you said it only took you about 25 min to install them? nice work. wher is the other one located?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am thinking about making a rear center channel speaker and put it on the rear shelf

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
so you only have one of the speakers mounted? and its off center? its cool and all if it sounds good, but i like what someone else suggested, and putting them in the vents right next to the windows (the 2 outside vents). then they would act as tweeters more or less, like as if they were like most, and mounted in that little triange next to the window. i think that would look and sound best, but thats just me.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well the magnet is too deep to mount in the sail panels. also I already have component speakers. The infinity that is in right now is center, not off center. It may appear to be offcenter due to it being the third vent from the left...but between the two seats, it is center. I wanted to get a center channel and thats what I have accomplished

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Originally posted by: mercurycougar
well the magnet is too deep to mount in the sail panels. also I already have component speakers. The infinity that is in right now is center, not off center. It may appear to be offcenter due to it being the third vent from the left...but between the two seats, it is center. I wanted to get a center channel and thats what I have accomplished
ah, ok. i gottcha. then you get a big :thumbsup: from me!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
just one quickie here guys....why on earth would you want to block of the a/c path...i suppose since the speaker takes up the whole space that any back pressure may be bad but damn dude how you gonna get all the foam out of there...by foam i hope you mean like soft egg carton packing foam (the yellow stuff or black stuff) and not the expanding foam in a can stuff..the mount looks good though and that is the closest to centre you can get with the factory vent locations..

but damn bgred619...that is one sweet fiberglass setup you have there?? you do it or did you have a shop do it...i assume it is custom since i have yet to see a console like that yet..big time thumbs up for it..

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I know of a few people, here and not on here that have done this to their outer speakers. Its kinda like a way to work on sound staging, you can move around the speaker sizes to help the staging equal out. They blocked off the vents as stated, however I believe they used a type of insulating foam, like spray in so it is totally sealed from everything and will never corrode or whatever....

I just know Ive seen this before several times and it looks like a decent idea.... Just have to know what you are doing I guess.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts