New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got bored tonight and decided to go for some test drives...
i went to brenner dodge on paxton street first and test drove their blue srt-4. ive slowly began to want one of these and decided to give her a shot. the car was soooo quick. it was torque-ie, and accelerated really nice. the interrior had some very comfy seats however being a tall guy with big knees i couldnt get comfortable. the dash was very plain and the handling was good but a 6 compared to a cougars 8 out of 10. i did like the guages and the 6 speaker system and the shifting was very smooth. i think it is a true value at 19,995. as far as looks it wasnt great but it was more aggressive then the stock neons. to do a turbo upgrade its virtually impossible as the turbo is actually part of the car, in other words u would need to heat torch it off. as far as turbo lag... virtually none. i told the guy i would think about it and id call him back.
immiediatly i left and stopped at faulkner mazda subaru. i test drove a 2.0l turbocharged wrx. not an sti. the inside was alot more comfy to me then the neon. the seats wern't as "race-y" but then again they wern't designed after the viper... the thing that blew me away was the handling, the salesman told me to let it loose back by ups and i did, i have never ever ever gone that fast in such a tight turn, it is a 11 on the 1-10 handling scale. there was a bit of lag in the boost though. it took a few seconds but when it kicked in u felt it like crazy. the cars appearence was better overall as well. i felt safer in the wrx how ever the car costed about 5 grand more coming in at 25340....

overall i see these cars in comparison to the cougar like this...(all cars were manual, v6 2.5l cougar, 4cyl 2.0l neon, and a 2.0l 4 cyl wrx)
Speed- the srt 4s take off was sick and instant, cravy acceleration no idea off top out speed. the wrx was next, a little slower take off but with 70 more horses then the neon im sure it would have spanked the neon EVENTUALLY, cougar took third we all know how it drives... (im using the v6 version)
Handling- Wrx hands down. it was sick even on the ice. awd is crazy esp. at speeds near 80 in hairpins and on ramps. Cougar second, then the srt4, however i didnt really get to lay it out like the wrx just bassing it off of steering in smaller turns i dont think it would compare. it sits pretty high but the seats hold you in there nicely.
Styling- Cougar.. its stock body with 16inch rims....wrx its 4 doors and has gold rims...but the spoiler, the color (blue) and the beautiful hood scoop fixed all the problems :) the interrior was nice but not as nice as my cougar. the srt4 was depressing, it was still a neon even with dual exhaust. the fron was aggressive, but not impressive. the interrior was uncomfortable but i did like how the boost guage fit in with the dash.

in the end im no car and driver but i am a 19 year old who was very bored. would i ever trade in the cougar prolly not for one of these unless it was later. i think after i add some new suspension and body work ill be right with these cars in handling and looks, i may not be quicker but atleast ill still get the looks that these two lack big time. i had both salesman begging me to buy the cars as i was talking about this great job and a rich dad...(both not true). it was a great time and next weekend maybe ill try some other cars. what to try next??? an evo?? v-spec?? rx8?? u tell me and ill gladly go try!!

edit for the years... 04-srt4, 03-wrx, 99-cougar

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Good thing you gave my car a good review or id have to kick your ass;). Ill make a few comments beings ive owned 2 out of 3 of the cars mentioned. As far as style and looks go the cougar has them all beat, even at stock. I just love the cougar headlights and I like how low you sit in the drivers seat and i like how sleek the car is. The neon and wrx are more of a sedan kind of car so they are a little more boxier. I cant comment on the WRX's handling because ive never driven one but i know for a fact the cougar has the neon beat in that department too. Turns that i could take at 50-60 i cant take as quick in the neon. It could have a little to do with im not as comfortable in the Neon yet as i was in the Cougar but im pretty sure the cougar has the edge. Now as for speed the cougar doesnt even come close to either of them. The Neon can beat the WRX, but it will be a good race and i guess depending on the driver the WRX could beat the Neon. I raced a WRX from a rolling start from the very bottom of 2nd gear and i ended up beating him, but it wasnt by enough that i could say i could beat them hands down. Had we raced from a stop it could have been a different story, the Neon has a TON of wheelspin off the line and beings the WRX is all wheel drive that may take care of some of the spin so it could probably take the Neon out of the hole. I probably would like a WRX more then the Neon, but i dont know if its worth 5k more. The price tag the Neon comes with it what made me be so interested in it, it comes race ready pretty much with already a great sounding exhaust.

I love going to test drive cars. Its so fun to get them excited like your actually buying the car when you know your just doing it for fun.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the neon would take the wrx from a stand still, and it would pull nicely, however given time and distance, quarter mile or so, the wrx would be riding your tail! meanwhile all the ladies that get bored with the race would be checking out the eye candy that is, the mercury cougar! i think with some lowering springs u could get a better ride in the neon. that car takes off though, thats for sure. price wise it beats all three. wrx-25000, srt-20995, a new cougar 21,000, my version 99 - 6-9,000

1 - 3 of 3 Posts