New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's going to be a cold one, and Jay just cancelled. So, no project car. But, that frees us up to do work on other cars, and leaves plenty of time for folks to blow their water pumps, jump-start 40 year old cars, tow blown water pump's car back to my house, only to smash out the window after locking the keys in the overheating car.

:banana:

Seriously- I will still be around in the morning if people are still planning to show. Very informal thing. Urbn- You have those manifolds gutted yet?

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
I have 4 Bilsteins and 2 sway bars waiting to go on the Explorer. Planned on doing it in my driveway, but if you don't mind ...

Naw ... I better get that tranny fluid changed ASAP ... I will be bringing the Contour with said new WP, so no blowing it this time ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
still haven't gotten those things gutted yet. haven't had the chance to. this week will be pretty busy because i am finishing the painting of my interior panels and getting the car ready for the show in fredricksburg. hopefully my tail light covers will be in before the show!!! james said he would try and get them here this week. also ordered the piece for my transmission that is supposed to stop the shift bang problem. my transmission was acting up on me on the way to work the other morning. it kept shifting in and out of gears. it would jump between first and second and i was doing the same speed the hole time. but when i turned over drive off it stopped doing it. any idea's on what that could be?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check your fluid level while warm, running, and in park. Make sure you've got the correct reading on the dipstick, and that the fluid is bright red and does not smell burnt. Trevor, RJ, Tom, and I flushed Trevor's Contour ATX this weekend using the "2 bucket method" for a complete flush of the system, and it worked beautifully- Trevor says it's shifting like a dream. Easy to do if you can do it while it's not like negative 15 degrees outside...

·
8,571 Posts
Well, if anyone's curious, my Cougar is running a lot better now that we've replaced the fuel filter and IAC. Thanks for the help and advice!

The transmission flush was kind of fun. Well, at least it was for me, in the comfy, reclined driver's seat. Trevor might not have enjoyed it as much as he hurriedly shuffled buckets and bottles of fluid around; I'm not sure. ;)

--RJ

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AH, of course he did. He lives for this sh*t... ;)

·
8,571 Posts
"What's his problem, Doc?"
"The man's obviously crazy."

--RJ

·
Registered
63 Posts
hey dan. i was wondering if you had a chance to one weekend if you could show me how to flush my transmission? let me know what i need to buy and if you can help.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Originally posted by: UrbnCougar33
hey dan. i was wondering if you had a chance to one weekend if you could show me how to flush my transmission? let me know what i need to buy and if you can help.
2 5gallon buckets (Home Depot) and 15 quarts of tranny fluid Mercon, NOT Mercon V

15 quarts is too much, but I sacraficed 3-4 quarts to be safe. I believe that the tranny will hold 9 quarts or so. If I had to do it over again, I would backflush the radiator/cooler lines with
Kooler Kleen. This will be done when I install my auxilary trans cooler and in-line filter, IF my tranny doesn't grenade itself first.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What Trevor said- It's a pretty simple procedure, actually. You'll just need a way to recycle about 15 quarts of fluid.

You basically drain the thing, fill it with clean fluid, then detach the upper radiator cooler line and route it around to a bucket. Then, with several clean quarts at the ready, start the car and let the cooler line start pissing out all the old/dirty fluid from the torque converter/valve body. As it's pushed out of the cooler lines, add roughly the same amount to the trans fill tube, stopping every 30 seconds or so to ensure you have plenty of fluid in the trans. Repeat until the output from the disconnected cooler line runs bright red. Then button everything back up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts