New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we have a proportioning valve to adjust front/rear braking? I have changed pads and have bled the system but since day one I cannot get my rears to grab very hard. I can get my fronts to lock up np, but if I break hard I have to pull the ebrake to make them grab hard... why?
Is there anything I can do to make the back brakes grab harder? I have omp rotors and pads all around.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
The proportioning valve is not adjustable. The rear brakes will never grab very hard. 30% of braking power for a 3200 lb car isn't much force. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Did you bleed the brakes in the proper order according to Ford? It makes a HUGE difference, and it varies from car to car, year to year, edition to edition.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
found this while goin though the FORD CD:
Vehicles fitted with the standard braking system have pressure conscious reducing valves (PCRVs) These are fitted in the brake tubes at the rear wheels. The PCRVs control the hydraulic pressure applied to the rear brakes thereby reducing the risk of rear wheel lock-up under braking.
wonder if I could remove these to see how the braking would be different...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know how it works. Im just trying to get a better braking balance between the front and rears. I know that the rears are not supposed to grab as hard for the obvious reasons of spinning out. Same reason why cars are designed to understeer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts