New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1030 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Index of Updates with Topics:

Post 1: History of project discussed and the first day of the engine buildup begins
Post 15: Covers are painted and prepped
Post 23: Covers are installed and the block modifications continue
Post 27: Longblock starting to take shape ... FEAD side complete
Post 65: Tapped the block for the oil return line and started porting the the UIM to accept 70mm TB
Post 69: Finished porting the UIM to accept 70mm TB by creating custom metal gasket/separator
Post 81: Started to sand down the exterior of the UIM
Post 89: Pointed out the difference between my UIM and the stock UIM
Post 94: Sanding down the exterior of the UIM continues
Post 109: Finished sanding exterior of the UIM
Post 119: Decided to paint the UIM vs. Polishing to better compliment the engine bay
Post 124: Installed UIM and fitted some wiring harnesses
Post 147: Engine Fully assembled, Cleaned out the engine bay and started the suspension overhaul
Post 176: Full suspension overhaul & custom made intake
Post 203: Started the car for the first time (Naturally Aspirated)
Post 233: Started fabrication of the up-pipe's 2 into 1 merge collector
Post 263: Find and fix an intake vacuum leak & misc. overview shots of the car
Post 301: Found the source of my fuse problem
Post 311: Turbo has arrived, along with other goodies
Post 319: Car is running again ... it was the speedo sensor
Post 328: Engine from swap crated for shipping
Post 342: Announce the "kit" will not be produced
Post 353: Battery tray fabricated
Post 360: A/C system completely removed
Post 376: AEM Wideband gauge install
Post 377: Video of the wideband working
Post 402: First dyno runs (Naturally Aspirated)
Post 407: Turbo system fabrication continues with up-pipe
Post 435: Up-pipe redesigned and fabrication continues
Post 444: Down-pipe fabrication started
Post 446: Turbo system starting to take shape
Post 460: Oil feed line is run
Post 468: LIM secondaries removed along with the EGR
Post 482: New intercooler arrived and fitted
Post 512: Wastegate fabrication done, but need to raise the intercooler
Post 518: Intercooler raised, wastegate tube shortened, support bracket added & bumper cut
Post 539: Intercooler shrouding plans discussed
Post 561: Intercooler piping complete along with turbo inlet tubing
Post 608: Finish intake/vacuum plumbing, moving onto the exhaust
Post 649: Add some forgotten gaskets and finally finish the exhaust - SHE'S COMPLETE!!!
Post 747: Dyno results are in ... still need some tuning!

Project Mavro Gato:

Mavro = Greek word for "Black"
Gato = Greek word for "Cat"

History:

It all started at breakfast one morning during CougarFest 2004. My wife leans over to me and says "You know what, you should buy another Cougar for a project car" ... she has lived to regret those words :evil:

See, in September of 1999, I bought a 1999 Cougar and began modifying it immediately. However, in 2000, the wife and I decided to buy a house and we went into "savings mode". We where eating peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for lunch and mac-n-cheese for dinner for months straight to help save for the house. I pitched in and sold the Cougar to avoid the $418/month payment (I bought the car with $0 down and financed 100% of the car).

So, I planned CougarFest 2004 (with A LOT of help from committee members) and while attending, I guess my wife witnessed first hand how much I truly love these cars ... that or she just didn't want me to auto-cross the truck anymore ;) I promptly started to follow eBay ads for 1999 Cougars upon the completion of CougarFest 2004.

Following CougarFest 2004, I began buying parts that I knew I needed. However, I didn't have any solid plans for the car other than knowing it would have a 3L in it. About 4 months later, I bought a Black 1999 Cougar from an eBay seller who ran a shop in Philadelphia. I snagged the car for a mere $2,000 since it had a blown slave cylinder and couldn't be moved easily. You had to select a gear and then start the car in that gear ... I was never able to drive it. To this day, I haven't driven the car. Overall, it was a great buy ... except for some hidden front bumper damage (car had a bra on it). So, the front & rear bumpers (many punctures/scrapes/etc.) have to be replaced ... no big deal since the car needs some fresh paint anyways.

So, I now have the car, all the engine parts (Turbo/Supercharger in mind), 3L block, spare transmission ... everything to make this car into something great. Problem was, I was running out of money and the $6,000 at the time for an ADC kit was appearing more and more ludicrous in my eyes after watching Warmonger's success designing and testing his own setup multiple times. I had the $6K for the kit, but didn't see the value in it (at the time) and wanted to use the money to get the car a nice paint job and fix up the interior (roll cage & racing seats). I will live to completely and utterly regret this decision.

So, I hunt down an already turbo'd Cougar/Contour and buy it. The plan was simple, buy a turbo Cougar/Contour, duplicate the piping and then sell the car for a small loss, or remove the turbo kit, return the car to stock and still spend WAY Less and $6,000. The rest is history and well, rather a long story that I don't really want to get into in this thread. Long story short, I get totally hosed on the deal, have to drop a new engine into the POS and then end up rolling the car the same day that I get it titled!

So, this thread is here to document the process of me creating my turbo kit and completing Phase 1 & 2 of Project Mavro Gato.

Phase 1 = Build up the car and break in the engine/transmission naturally aspirated
Phase 2 = Build up the turbo kit and "prove the concept"
Phase 3 = Swap the driveline into the rear of the car and go RWD. This phase is a long way off ... IF it ever leaves paper is to be seen. This will be a multi-year project and involves me becoming a proficient TIG welder & metal fabricator first.

----------------------------------------
Engine Buildup Begins
----------------------------------------

1999 Taurus 3L block, Pauter Rods & Diamond 9:1 CR pistons. Note the painted (500 degree engine enamal) engine mount.

Oil pump attached.

Windage tray & oil pickup attached.

Oil seperator installed.

ARP head studs ready to be installed.

Studs installed.

Head gaskets fitted over studs.

Right head installed.

Left head installed.

At this point, I needed to remove the cam caps in order to torque down the head stud nuts.

Cams removed, studs exposed.

stud "head" closeup.

All the nuts installed and the Roller Finger Followers (RFF's) are installed.

Cams are reinstalled and caps fitted and torqued to spec.

Timing chain guides are installed.

Left head timed.

Close up of the colored links on their respective cam markings.

Same on the sprocket end.

Fully timed. Notice the colored links are all off by 21 links to the timing marks on the cams & crank sprocket. I rotated the assembly to ensure proper timing. Aside from hunting down a missing "gold" bolt (timing chain guides & tensioners), the entire process took roughly 15 minutes.

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Re: Project: Mavro Gato (56K ... Get a cup of coffee)

some spoiled brats get everything..:(

·
Registered
3,696 Posts

that is one clean mother****ing engine

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

scrupul0us said:
that is one clean mother****ing engine
Just wait for tonight's pictures. The FEAD side (front) motor mount was painted with 500+ degree engine enamel. I love the stuff, so I'm going to paint the timing cover and both valve covers as well ... all silver (aluminum). She is going to sparkle :)

As of right now, I'm waiting on a new SVT flywheel to arrive. So, until then I need to clean out the LIM & paint it, paint and install the valve covers, timing cover & oil pan. Once all the painted parts are installed, I plan on masking the block and painting it as well. However, I don't want to put masking tape/paper on still curing paint, so the block detailing will not be done until tomorrow night.

I also forgot to get a closeup of the installed stud nuts, so I will add that to tonight's list as well.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

LostRacer said:
some spoiled brats get everything..:(
Yes, I do spoil myself rotten ... you know, with all the money I make from whoring out your mamma :poke:

·
Premium Member
12,347 Posts

Lookin good Trevor! This is your "race" block right?

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

j99coug said:
Lookin good Trevor! This is your "race" block right?
Yep ... I will add to the original post to clarify some things like Specs, intended use, plans for the car, etc. I will also use the original post to hotlink to posts by me within this thread with all the pictures and/or technical discussions ... sort of like an appendix within the original post. This way, people don't have to read all the fluff posts and can get right to meat of the thread when they first start reading it ;)

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts

FastCougar said:
Just wait for tonight's pictures. The FEAD side (front) motor mount was painted with 500+ degree engine enamel. I love the stuff, so I'm going to paint the timing cover and both valve covers as well ... all silver (aluminum). She is going to sparkle :)
so what paint is this that you are using?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts

Domo arigato Mavro Gato!

Domo!

·
Registered
3,333 Posts

Added in the photos was a close up of the YL8E upper windage tray. I was curious on if this needed to be updated, since my stock 02 sable tray worked fine with the updated 5L8E oil pan and pickup tube. Via PM's trevor had verified to me that it can work as long as it clears all components (rotate the engine several times)

Can anyone else pitch in on this or is that pretty much the definitive answer?

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The only reason for that closeup is to note what tray didn't work without being modified. However, I think this is exclusive to me since I had to modify it because a block bolt was in the wrong place ... look just above the nut holding down the oil pickup tab ... I had to drill out the pan to clear a studded bolt that is in the wrong place. I have to reference the build manual that I gave the machine shop to see if it was their goof or mine (giving them 2.5L directions). *I THINK* that studded bolt was the old retaining stud for the older design oil pickup and me giving them the 2.5L plans with revised 3L setups would explain why I had to drill a hole in the windage tray. No biggie though ... the bolts are all the same length and torqued to spec.

·
3L Install Maestro
7,864 Posts

The only reason for that closeup is to note what tray didn't work without being modified. However, I think this is exclusive to me since I had to modify it because a block bolt was in the wrong place ... look just above the nut holding down the oil pickup tab ... I had to drill out the pan to clear a studded bolt that is in the wrong place. I have to reference the build manual that I gave the machine shop to see if it was their goof or mine (giving them 2.5L directions). *I THINK* that studded bolt was the old retaining stud for the older design oil pickup and me giving them the 2.5L plans with revised 3L setups would explain why I had to drill a hole in the windage tray. No biggie though ... the bolts are all the same length and torqued to spec.
That isn't out of the ordinary. I've had to modify all of the windage trays when I swap over to the 2.5L oil pan on all my 3L swaps. You need to replaced one of the bolts with one that has a stud on it and drill through the windage tray so it will stick through and the pickup tube has something to bolt to.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts

That's awesome. I glad to see the "FastCougar" is going to come to life.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Today's work ... before and after of the external "covers" being painted with Dupli-Color's 500 degree engine enamel (w/ceramic). I did 2 light coats, roughly 15 minutes apart and then one final coat laid on heavier, but not heavy enough to streak.

Timing Cover:

Before

After

Left Head Valve Cover:

Before

After

Right Head Valve Cover:

Before

After

Oil Pan (brand new):

Before

After

I ordered a new idler pulley and tensioner arm from Rock Auto. Here they are installed on the newly painted timing cover. I have to remove the old (painted over) crankshaft oil seal and install the new one, but it's late and I don't want to make that kind of noise right now.

However, I think I will need to return the idler pulley and order one from Bill Jenkins ... it's slightly larger than stock ... just enough clearance here to insert a finger nail ... no more.

And yes, I plan on pulling the idler pulley retainer & bolt and painting those as well when I replace the idler pulley ;)

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts

hey we need to do that to my 3.0 :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

GrandMasterKhan said:
hey we need to do that to my 3.0 :biggrin:
Who's we? Someone helping you install a 3L? ;)

My Cougar's black with a silver engine ... your Cougar is silver, so black should look good ... set off your hood nicely when opened up.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

The red trans is going to stick out like a sore thumb, not to mention that the paint on it is plain old spray paint is can be wiped off with a rag w/gasoline on it :banghead:

I soo regret spending the extra money on getting that done. Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but was definitely done in a hurry and done with the wrong type of paint.

·
Registered
868 Posts

Nice work any high def pics of what was done to the crank ?
Thanks
Jameson

1 - 20 of 1030 Posts