New Cougar Forum banner

161 - 180 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
First start video
This first start is super rough sounding, its actually a lot better now after some tweaks, still a little detonation in the exhaust but overall the car sounds really good. Very nice purrr.

·
Administrator
15,469 Posts
Congratulations!!! It's not happy but it's running!

What turned out to the be big problem? PATS?

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
The newest PCM that I bought wasn't recognizing the key. I tried using Forscan to reprogram but that wasn't working. A couple of emails to the Forscan tech support dept identified that PCM was somehow locked out as a rental car so they wouldn't be able to help me with it. I went back to the original PCM that I had problems with the first time, and it worked!
So I suspect we inadvertently fixed something in the wiring without realizing we were doing it.
I have Identified one of my big connecctors doesnt click well so that could have been a contributing factor.
We also did replace the Battery junction box so that was definitely part of the problem at some point.

Reactions: LinkMan

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #165

The Forscan license is only $10 for a year, but you have to have the correct dongle as well, and those are a little more.
Also, getting the dongle and computer set up and functional was sort of unreasonably difficult but I managed to figure it out and I'm no computer whiz.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Forgot I meant to post the improved throttle bracket. It needs to be stripped and repainted, and I need to extend the CC cable, but I think its pretty decent. As others have done, we just cut up the two donor brackets and frankensteined them together into one.

·
Administrator
24,396 Posts
Somebody could make it financially worth their while to mass-produce 3.0 and SVT cable brackets.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Yeah, maybe full 3.0 swap kits with all the "adapted" parts needed for the swap in one convenient package. I would have bought such a package. I'm not sure how many more of these cars are going to get this treatment though, not many I think.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Have you considered running the stock ECU? I think alot of your problems would go away. You are creating many new ones trying to make that one work.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
I think I'm past ECU problems, just working out bugs now, then need the tune. If I created my own problems anywhere it was in deciding to go with a full 3.0 build but that's a done deal.
It seems like a stock Cougar ECU would be even further away from what I need than the SVT PCM I'm using since I have the 3.0 injectors and SVT cams installed.

I found a good replacement for my bad harness connector (thanks Jaged for the lead on Pole), and ordered a second set of motorcraft plug wires, along with brand new alternator connectors, so those four items should take care of most of my problems right now I think.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I hope so for your sake. Sure, it would be further from being "3.0 spec" but it would run, and any of the weirdness stuff would be easier to troubleshoot when you are closer to stock.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #172

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Oh dear. Couldn't de-pin the old one?

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
De-pinning and re-pinning is a little outside of Dad's comfort zone so he went with old reliable. Once the shrink tubing is completed, and it all gets taped up and loomed it will be fine.
I probably would have done it a little differently but in the end it doesn't really matter how the cat gets skinned.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
We're having trouble getting the alternator to do its job, and also the instrument cluster isnt working. We had been hoping these two things were related but we arent sure.
Started off by replacing the connectors to the alternator - No luck
Replaced the Alternator - No luck.
There just isnt that much there...All the cabling between the battery and the alt is brand new welding cable, the mega fuse is good, there's no reason the battery shouldn't be charging.
We do have the battery in the trunk with a remote terminal panel under the hood and a breaker in the trunk, but the car starts fine so there's no reason those shouldnt be conducting back the other way too.

The alt was a reman Autozone unit so that has me worried, but it was fresh off the shelf so it really shouldnt be bad already.

The cluster gets power to all the little indicating lights, but not to any of the needles.

1. Any thoughts about the alternator problem?
2. Any thoughts about the instrument cluster problem?
3. Any thoughts about the instrument cluster and alternator problems being related?

·
5,257 Posts
1. Voltage sense fuse in the junction box?
2. --
3. Probably unrelated, but possible if there is not sufficient voltage?

Reactions: mmc757

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #178 (Edited)
Welp. Reading the fuse-box map upside down strikes again :LOL:
Alternator and cluster are fixed due to putting the right fuse in the right slot.
On to the next thing!

For anyone curious, the cluster and the alternator are most definitely co-dependent. It seems the cluster has a microprocessor inside which, if i'm understanding correctly, flashes and controls the field for the alternator so without that circuit, its just a lump of rotating copper.

·
5,257 Posts
My response included "fuse" and "box" so I am considering my response correct :)

Reactions: mmc757

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #180 (Edited)
Minor update: Dad is now in the process of replacing the entire A/C system. He tried to draw a vacuum, it wouldn't hold so he toook the nuclear option and ordered all new system. Its probably for the best. He found metal particles inside the orifice tube when he took it out.

I should have done this on the yellow car years ago.

161 - 180 of 181 Posts