New Cougar Forum banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,050 Posts
there was a CAI that was shaped like that. i cant remember what they were called though. the biggest problem with those was that they are exposed to the elements and sucked in more water than they should if i remember right.

i remember the one guy had problems with his falling off because it wasnt supported at all

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Dad is an old school engineer, he overbuilds everything. I'm sure support wont be an issue, I just hate that accordion tube, and although I dont have noticeable heat soak with my yellow car, this car has headers so I'm a little concerned about drawing hot air in from down there next to everything.
I'll worry about all that later though, right now it just needs to get on the road.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
No, I havent...I think I drove a Taurus wagon once...LOL

·
Administrator
24,231 Posts
I would love to drive a 3.0 cougar that wasn’t as dramatic as mine. Something with a modicum of comfort, probably much like you’re building.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
view2.jpg

view1.jpg

Throttlebracketview1.jpg

Throttle view.jpg

I dont expect the filter to stay there forever. I will see what happens when everything else is put together. If it does stay there, I'll probably make an enclosure for it and feed it from the fender void.

·
Super Moderator
22,050 Posts
the only thing that i can say about that is that the MAF likes to read air when it is flowing straight, with it right after the curve like that it may read funny. it looks like the sensor is horizontal in the air stream. it may or may not cause issues

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
the only thing that i can say about that is that the MAF likes to read air when it is flowing straight, with it right after the curve like that it may read funny. it looks like the sensor is horizontal in the air stream. it may or may not cause issues
Yep. You might be able to get away with it by playing with the rotation of where the sensor sits. Clocking it at 90 can make all the difference.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Yeah, I thought about that MAF issue too. I figure everything is likely to be taken apart and put back together again nine times before its ready to turn the key so I'll catch it before then.
I really hate that accordion tube too.
Unfortunately, since I'm 2300 miles away from the car, I'm at the mercy of what my dad decides to do with it. So unless its a showstopper, my best option is to let him roll and be grateful for the help.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
After trying to reach Joey with NPG for three days to discuss my PCM issues and get the ball rolling on my tune, he has now informed me that he no longer has a license for SCT and will not be able to build my tune.
Very disappointing.
If anyone knows anyone else that can do it for me remotely, contact info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
24,231 Posts
My guy uses SCT, but I doubt he'll want to do a remote tune. I would want someone pretty intimately familiar with the platform to do that anyway.

But if you want to bring it to Columbus, Brian will do you right. And remember, I competed with mine on an untuned SVT chip and 19# injectors; full-throttle, rev-limiter-banging, maximum-attack competed, for a full season in SCCA. AFR's were acceptable, although it was a good 30 hp down in the middle of the powerband until the IMRC fuel strategy was tuned out.

Set it up on the SVT system, put some 24# injectors in your back pocket, and drive it to a tuner.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
I think there's a speed shop in town by where the car is now that will do it, but like you, I would prefer someone familiar with the platform. Coyote tuners are a dime a dozen, Duratec tuners...not so much.
That's most likely what will happen though.
The question is, will it even run as is? I guess we will find out unless I find someone else in the very near future...

·
Administrator
24,231 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot - you're doing the oval-port build. I couldn't say for sure how well that will run on an SVT chip. Brian has only ever tuned split-port 3.0's, as far as I know; mine and Dan's, and maybe an SVT Contour or two. I think an oval port would probably run pretty badly on a split-port chip though. I would not want to put 19# injectors into one of those regardless.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
New PCM installed and the PATS issue is fixed.
Joey from NPG has told me he is going to get someone else to build my initial tune, but he hasnt given me that contact info yet.
I really want to give him the benefit of the doubt but he's frustratingly slow to respond to emails. "Dude, just tell me whats going on!"
Working through trying to figure out why the Fuel pump only runs for a couple seconds, and why the starter isnt doing anything.

PCM from Josh.jpg

Also this on the X4:

unsupported.jpg

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
you need to call them and have the tuner unlocked for your ecu strategy. they do it all over the phone.

also TECH TIP TO EVERYONE. sct is being attacked by the epa and they will probably not be doing any more tuning or support soon. and who knows if theyll last in business. so get to it

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
They emailed me a stock tune to upload. Will see how that goes.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Okay, I made a speed trip out to AZ for another purpose but I managed to get a day in the garage with the car. Here's where we are:

Starting problem: I have confirmed the entire ignition circuit is working correctly and has continuity all the way from the key switch to the PCM, but something in the PCM is still preventing a start. It acts like a bad ground, but we haven't figured it out yet. Current plan is to check continuity on every wire attached to the PCM until we confirm everything is going where it should be.

Communications problem #1: My X4 still isnt communicating with the car. SCT sent me a stock tune to upload into the X4, but the serial number of the file swapped an o for a 0 so the file is invalid. Trying to get SCT to send me a corrected file, but the responsiveness of their tech support is woefully inadequate.

Communications problem #2: Even a standard OBDII reader isnt communicating with the PCM, contributing to our belief that something isnt wired correctly.

I hate gremlins.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
I really wish I could find logic diagrams for the PCM

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #139 (Edited)
Thanks Andreyyyk for checking out my PCM for me...it seems to be functional.
Back to tracing wires and studying diagrams...

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Dad is getting exactly nowhere trying to figure out why this car wont work.
I made a big, beautiful spreadsheet for all the wires going into the ECU but so far, everything checks out.
It makes no sense.
I might need to buy all new wiring and start from scratch.

121 - 140 of 146 Posts