New Cougar Forum banner

101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I think that putting the engine inside the car is the job I most fear, because I always have some screws left over and things like that.

Cheer up

The headers are very good looking. and I see that you have the lambda probe connected, since you do not have a previous catalyst, what solution have you given so that you do not have a poor oxygen reading?

Looking for information from the Ford Taurus I've seen the latest version of the Duratec, the 3.7, does anyone know if you can get into the Cougar?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cyclone_engine#3.7_L

I see that a lot has been sold out there in F150 and many cars
We use Mil Eliminators to correct the o2 sensors.
Something like this: https://www.fswerks.com/products/oxygen-sensor-mil-eliminators-ford-focus-duratec-2003-2011
The 3.7 is an entirely different engine. They have similarities but it would have to be a 100% custom install if someone wanted to try it.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Day 5. Took the nuclear option.
Dropped the whole subframe out. Should have done this to begin with. This will be the way I do it if there's ever a next time.
IMG_3196.JPG IMG_3194.JPG

We had originally thought we would be smart and measure how far we really needed to grind the bushing down but after failing to draw the engine and trans together, we figured we probably didn't grind it down far enough so we pulled the engine back off and ground it all the way flush. Went right together after that. :banghead:

Didn't quite get the whole thing back in the car but that was due to a conscious decision to stop for dinner. I could have had it in there if I had kept going.

·
Administrator
24,231 Posts
Day 5. Took the nuclear option.
Dropped the whole subframe out.
That's the only way I'll ever do it. Seems like such a big deal, but you save SO MUCH TIME AND HEADACHES.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
We had good luck dropping engines in by leaving the roll resistor mounts off of the tranny and just ziptieing the fuel lines/shift cables out of the way. Needless to say we forgot to move the shift cables out of the way the last time we dropped the engine...(sorry about that). With the stuff out of the way, one person maneuvers the engine past the brake master cylinder and it drops right in!

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
That's the only way I'll ever do it. Seems like such a big deal, but you save SO MUCH TIME AND HEADACHES.
Until the captured nuts start to spin at least. I suppose with a CA car I'd be more willing, but after the 01 I'm a little gun shy, being that it was almost rust free and still spun 3 of 4 nuts...

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Day 6: Subframe with engine and trans reinstalled.
I thought I had the steering spline engaged but later discovered it popped out so I had to take the steering column off and fix that.
Also reset the front bearings (thanks Bennett and Jagged) due to some unexpected wobbling.
Started on wiring but didnt get very far. This was my last day on the trip so we picked a good stopping point and quit at a reasonable time to clean up the shop, sort out parts, etc.
I would have liked to make more progress this trip but seeing as how this was our first time doing this job, I suppose we did okay.
My prep and planning for the engine build was invaluable, I'm very happy with how that aspect of the project went, but I didnt do enough planning for the actual installation itself. Now I know.

Unfortunately, this project will see minimal progress for the month of June, but hopefully I can find another chance to get out there in July to finish it up.
Engine installed.JPG

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
We had good luck dropping engines in by leaving the roll resistor mounts off of the tranny and just ziptieing the fuel lines/shift cables out of the way. Needless to say we forgot to move the shift cables out of the way the last time we dropped the engine...(sorry about that). With the stuff out of the way, one person maneuvers the engine past the brake master cylinder and it drops right in!
If the engine and trans were already mated together, yes. They could go in at an angle without it being a huge production. Unfortunately we already had the trans and axles installed with oil in the trans so it was a very different story.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Agreed. This went very smoothly. Even reinstallation was a breeze, I basically just lowered the car down onto the engine. There was some precision jacking involved with getting the steering shaft in the hole, but that was no big deal.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Replaced all the injector connectors on my injector harness. Dad has been doing coolant and PS plumbing. Work is minimal on the car right now because..Arizona in July. I'm thinking I wont get back out there until maybe the Labor day holiday when temperatures are reasonable again.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
That would be great to have in the garage, but we were able to do everything we needed to easily enough with an engine hoist and some floor jacks and rollers.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Big-Red-2-Ton-Foldable-Engine-Crane-T32002X/100595175?cm_mmc=Shopping|B|Base|D25T|25-31_GARAGE/AUTOMOTIVE|NA|PLA|71700000034362730|58700003947733505|92700031998221537&msclkid=76911c60e42019b5ff9b417b816d059b&gclid=CKPIs7m0luMCFcvcswodJVgBoQ&gclsrc=ds

It's hot these days, I'm not going to remove the engine until I have one of these:

10,000LBS Two Post Lift Car Auto Truck Hoist
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GQGR9Y/ref=psdc_5743826011_t1_B07B7JRLD4

·
So its begun.....
16,835 Posts
Wow! Amazing work on the car! I'm jealous. I'm missing it greatly. I really miss those rims though. lol I was never able to find another set that captured me like those.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Dad got the coolant lines finished up and filled. Slow but steady progress...Arizona summers are not condusive to working in non-air conditioned spaces.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We use Mil Eliminators to correct the o2 sensors.
Something like this: https://www.fswerks.com/products/oxygen-sensor-mil-eliminators-ford-focus-duratec-2003-2011
The 3.7 is an entirely different engine. They have similarities but it would have to be a 100% custom install if someone wanted to try it.
Hi, I've been seeing the original exhaust manifolds.
The O2 sensor is before the pre-catalyst, why is the Mil Eliminators necessary?

This summer I'm doing some things like the missing letter V and repairing the grilles

IMG_20190703_164706.jpg
IMG_20190630_203310.jpg

·
Administrator
24,231 Posts
Hi, I've been seeing the original exhaust manifolds.
The O2 sensor is before the pre-catalyst, why is the Mil Eliminators necessary?
All model years have a sensor upstream in both manifolds, and also have catalyst monitors downstream, AFTER the cats. The 99-00 models have a cat monitor in each bank (the front manifold has 2 sensors in it, one pre- and one post-cat, while the rear bank places its second sensor in the Y-pipe), and the 01-02 models have one single cat monitor after the main catalytic converter that reads both banks.

MIL Eliminators are only installed on the post-cat sensors - so the 99-00 models need two, while the 01-02 models only need one (unless the main catalytic converter is still intact - then no MIL eliminator is needed).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks, I did not understand why and what happened is that I had not seen the sensors behind the catalyst, I will look for them

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #120 (Edited)
Work is starting again with the cooler weather.
Coil pack mounted at the IMRC location:

Coil mounting (small).jpg

I'll probably fab up some sort of attractive looking cover to go over the coil pack eventually.

Current concept for the intake:

intake concept (small).jpg

This is definitely only a working concept to get the car on the road. Once its driving, I'll re-address this situation.

101 - 120 of 146 Posts