New Cougar Forum banner
241 - 259 of 259 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
I used sheet metal screws for the cover I made for the yellow car. They've never caused me any problems. No rust or anything in that area.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
I got the fuel pump changed and that worked. Still need to patch the cut-up section. More importantly though, I finally got it home! I may not get it into full service until after the winter now due to this time of year sucking for car work, but at least I can continue to push on it when I can. I had trouble with the battery during the trip, trouble with one of the tires, and a suspected vacuum leak so I may need to address those issues before I can really get into the good stuff.
I'll probably just try to take care of the battery and tire this weekend, and do a full evaluation of the whole car to punchlist everything left to do on it.
Also need to wash and wax it.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Make sure you get a big piece of cardboard, write everything in black sharpie, and then stick it to the windsheild somehow. Works like a charm.

Reactions: mmc757

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Plant Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

The tips certainly had me nervous but we made it without any issues.

Reactions: LostRacer

·
Registered
405 Posts
View attachment 82214 View attachment 82215 View attachment 82216

The tips certainly had me nervous but we made it without any issues.
I think I have a spare tip you might be interested in. I pulled a full borla exhaust last year from a car and one tip has a rub through the carbon fiber can with the metal ends still being good, the other tip seems to be fully intact. If you're interested I could take a pic. shipping would only be from Mass.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
I'm good, mine are both still in great shape. Thanks though.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Got the car emptied out (Dad put all the leftover parts in the trunk prior to shipping, then I added some more junk from our trip)
Got a tire removed and brought to the tire shop to re-mount it. Came home and discovered a second tire was flat. The kid at the tire shop said these wheels have extremely small lips on them. I'm worried the flat tires may be continuous problem but we shall see.
Also got it washed clean from all the travel slime. Ran out of daylight for waxing but that's okay, I'll get it waxed next weekend.
Poked around the intake a bit and found one air leak but it sounds like I have another. I think i really just need to redo the entire intake, the whole thing is kind of a mess.

In my towing drama, I managed to damage the power steering cooler and front bumper. I went to the junkyard Saturday and found a Contour so I grabbed the Power Steering cooler off of that. Two screws and two hose clamps...super easy! I was going to grab a couple random cruise control cables from other cars to see if any of them would fit my bracket and was shocked to not find a single >99 Duratec Taurus in the yard! It was a smaller yard that I was at, but still...usually the yards are lousy with Taurus's. I grabbed one from an Escape but I don't have high hopes for it, I think its too short but I forgot to check it out.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
I'm a little conflicted about the brakes. I had wanted to put factory 17" wheels on this car but theres only about 17/32" of space around the brakes on the 18" wheels that it currently has so I dont think the 17's will fit. So I have to decide which is more important to me.
I suppose for now I will stick with the 18's but I'm going to have to seriously consider switching back to factory brakes in the future.
We took some more measurements last night and I think its close enough on the factory 17's that its worth a test fit before I make any hasty decisions.
I test fit a factory 17 on the car this weekend and they do just barely fit. I would probably want to use a small spacer just for insurance but it can be done. Good to know.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Welp, since I waited so long to move this car cross-country, I don't think I'm even going to pretend that it will be in full service until the spring. I'll keep the yellow car going to sponge up the wear and tear of one more winter and keep this car covered when I'm not working on it.

·
Premium Member
24,676 Posts
I commend your strength is keeping this project going. I miss that car..lol

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
Forgot to post this when I took it:
Cougar, meet Cougar. Cougar, meet Cougar. Nice to meet you Cougar. You too Cougar.
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Yes, they were both filthy for this photo. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
you need a spruce green to park behind foundracer lol
:ROFLMAO: Like a hole in the head...

Is that an art teacher's perspective on my home color palette or is someone trying to unload a spruce green?

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
If I have any sense at all, this will be the last one.
If I had unlimited space, time, and money, there are two more Cougar builds I would like to do...One in white, and one in Laser Red.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 · (Edited)
I tried to start the car last night but got some weird results.
No fuel pressure.
The pump was sometimes making a starting noise but I never heard it running.
Voltage check at the pump showed 8V
I had the car connected to another vehicle for jumping so the battery voltage was at 14V
Trace the line back to the pump fuse: 8V at the fuse.
So somehow I've got a high resistance condition between the battery terminals and the fuse dropping me from 14V all the way down to 8V.

I didn't have time to troubleshoot any further but hopefully its something that will be obvious when I see it. I need to pull the fuse box up, and remove a custom cover I made for my remote terminals in order to see whats going on down there.
I also forgot to check other fuses to see if they were all reading 8V so I guess that will be the first step.
The car has been sitting in a high mouse-risk area for months now so that was my first thought but I see no obvious evidence of any pests.
All those cables are essentially brand new so corrosion isn't a thing.
Maybe a loose terminal?
Dad replaced that fuse box at one point so its totally possible something didn't get seated adequately.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
Installed a jam handle, and tried to troubleshoot the electrical failure.
Things are very odd in the BJB. I had full voltage at most places in the box but only 8V at the power supply to the fuel pump relay.
I tried jumping from a known good power supply to the relay and it cycles like crazy for a few seconds then quit. After that, I had 12V at the pump, but no movement so I think the cycling relay fried the brand new pump.
So i have some sort of problem in the power supply, and now a secondary problem with the pump.
Dad thinks a cycling relay and low voltage is an indication of a short to ground somewhere. That makes sense.
I had to leave town for work again so I wont be able to touch the car again until later in the year. I took the BJB out and brought it with me so I could do some continuity checks and map it out.
Its not looking likely that a November cannonball is in the cards. At this point, I'll be happy if its on the road before winter.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
I guess I should cross-post this photo for posterity since this is the official record for the car.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tire

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
I opened up the battery junction box last week and as I separated the casing pieces, a couple of connectors fell out. I believe one or more connectors was floating around freely in there giving me intermittent and strange indications. I hope that issue is fixed.
Unfortunately, when I installed the BJB and proceeded to go about trying to test it, I noticed a fuel leak on my supply hose between my regulator and the fuel rail. So I definitely need a new O-ring, and I also want to replace the fittings on the hose so I think I'm going to try to get a better hose made altogether. Regardless, fuel leaking right next to the BJB means no electrical testing will occur until the leak is resolved.
So unfortunately I'm back at all stop for the rest of the summer because I'm back in Ohio again and don't know when I'm going home next. So I'll have a nice fuel hose made while I'm in purgatory and hopefully next time I go home I'll be able to resolve some issues.

241 - 259 of 259 Posts