New Cougar Forum banner
221 - 240 of 255 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
That would be awesome. It would actually be a huge help to me to get it moved from St Louis to Indy but I think my dad would be disappointed if I didn't go out there myself.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,844 Posts
GET THIS CAR DONE. We’re going to throw another Fest when it’s registered and mobile.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
Oh, THATS what we've been waiting for? Why didn't anyone say so? It would have been done a year ago!

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
The Arizona heat, combined with the stress of the way we installed this thing resulted in a failure:
Light Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Electrical wiring Gas

Dad ordered a silicone tube he's going to try to use, otherwise we have a spare accordion that he will just re-install for now but the long term answer is to get it out of the heat and redesign the intake to get rid of the accordion tube.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,844 Posts
Oops - that's going to play havoc with the MAF readings, LOL

·
Registered
276 Posts
When I have time I will design in 3D to print a larger housing for the air sensor (MAF). This way it will not be overstretched if a larger intake-filter is used.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
I finally attempted to pull the trigger on moving this car only to be told by the broker that not a single carrier runs a route through Lake Havasu. If he brings the car to Kingman, AZ, there are three carriers that run that route but the broker is skeptical that anyone will want to do it for a reasonable price.
Oddly, she insisted that the weight of the car was a factor that would deter carriers...I tried to get her to explain how a 3000# car is a weight concern but she was just going off what her screen was telling her so I couldn't get any useful information on that. I understand we are maybe a little heavier than other SC's, but I find it pretty hard to believe our cars are heavier than the average mid-sized car today with so many AWD cars on the road now.
I might have to figure out a plan to tow this thing myself.

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
thats BS. its not much heavier that a 65 mustang and they haul those all the time. hell i see full size SUV's on them and they are close to 5000 lbs.

Both times I had a car hauled I had dozens of responses and this was for cars that couldnt move themselves. maybe try a different broker

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
I think the real problem is probably the south to north switch. I need to start in the I-40 corridor and end in the I-70 corridor so there probably aren't many carriers that make that jump.
I could probably get dad to haul it to my sisters house in the Denver area which might simplify things but I kind of hate asking my sister for help.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
My fears about finding a carrier may have been overblown. I suppose the broker was probably setting me up for possible rate hikes by setting my expectations low.
She found a carrier and the car should be picked up tomorrow!
I should be able to move it from Indy to CT in the next two weeks, then I have a whole laundry list of things to do to get it up to DD status, including finding a tuner.

That means I need to weed and flatten a parking spot for it this weekend.

Everything is getting real on me real quick!

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
Not really Indy, actually Greenfield, IN. One of my kids lives there currently.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
Safely arrived at the kids house on Sunday, no problems.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
Had some setbacks yesterday that precluded me from bringing the car home just yet. I dont really want to talk about them too much because they were largely self inflicted and embarassing. My plan now is to bring the car home over the thanksgiving holiday.
One thing that went wrong that was not my fault was the fuel pump appears to have crapped out. So I guess I'm changing a fuel pump for Thanksgiving. Yay. Surprisingly, the access cover has never been cut open on this car so it may still be on the original pump or at least a dealer swap pump.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,844 Posts
NOTE - if you have access to a scrap Cougar that hasn't had the floor cut for fuel pump work, cut out the entire panel around the hole and use it as a patch panel to cover the spot in the floor after you've cut yours. Just fasten it down with some pop-rivets. It's clean...

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Car Automotive design

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
That's a good idea. Its pretty rare for my local yards to have Cougars but I'll check it out this coming weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
I'd probably use rivet nuts and a bead of window sealing foam rather than pop rivets, but same idea.

221 - 240 of 255 Posts