New Cougar Forum banner

181 - 200 of 215 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Also this:

He added a jack point nub and a skid plate for the front lower O2 sensor onto the front subframe.
I told him the skid plate wasn't necessary because the ABS tray should protect it, but he forgot about that and got carried away. :LOL: :LOL:

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
This virus needs to end.
I was hoping to get a week out there getting the car tuned in October but travel restrictions aren't cooperating.

Dad has now rebuilt the entire A/C system and done a successful vacuum drop test on it. So that's cool. I'll have functional air conditioning in a Cougar...

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Dads been trying to charge the refrigerant but the engine keeps dying when the compressor kicks on.
I'm wondering if maybe this is a Fidanza side effect...I told him to adjust the throttle stop to run the idle up a bit.
He also pulled the plugs out and they were pretty gummy already so I think we're going to change the oil and switch to SVT injectors for now until I can get the tune sorted. Who knows? It might even just run right with the smaller injectors.
I think I have a set in my basement but I need to find them, and I'm not sure what style connector they are either, so I may end up needing to buy some.
It would be nice if I could find some 19# EV6 injectors designed for the oval ports...

·
Administrator
15,539 Posts
I had a Fidanza and perfectly working AC for years so I don't think it would be that.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Dads been trying to charge the refrigerant but the engine keeps dying when the compressor kicks on.
Did you guys change the orifice tube? A blocked orifice tube can cause the car to stall pretty quickly, even the 280hp engine in the GMT360 is no match for a blocked orifice tube.

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Yeah, the whole system except for one piece of pipe is brand new.

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
SVT injectors installed and Dad reports the car is running much better. If he can putz around the neighborhood with it like that for a while, I'm satisfied. I expect he will trip the IMRC code the first time he gets into IMRC range, and I dont know if the SVT injectors can handle high RPM's on the full 3.0 or not, but other than that I dont see any reason this car isnt fully streetable right now. I can replace the injectors again later when I can get the tune sorted out.
Interestingly, the injectors I had installed were the ones that came with the 3.0, and they are 27# injectors. That seems like a very large injector for a 3.0 to me...I thought the Taurus motors used 24's.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,675 Posts
Most Taurus 3.0s do use 24's; weird. However, I used those SVT injectors on my hybrid 3.0 for a year or more, in autocross, bouncing off the rev limiter, with no apparent ill effects. So they are serviceable. Finally moved to the 24's when I got it tuned.

I forget the exact figures, but according to all the online calculators I checked, the SVT 19# injectors were going to be nearly maxxed out at 200 wheel; like over 90% duty cycle. I was making 188 wheel on my untuned 3.0, so it was still in a pretty safe range. I mean, the 2.5 SVT Contours do about 170 wheel anyway, so you have to think Ford would play it a little safe.

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
According to this website, the 19# injectors should support up to about 180Whp on an NA V6 at 90% duty. That should be fine for any kind of normal person driving. Between the X4 and Forscan, I'll bet I've got some way to chart out exactly when they start running out of poop.

Reactions: LostRacer

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Those 24#ers would be too much without a tune. That's why I stuck with 19's and the SVT ECU. I know I'm hella late at responding...But..oh well..lol. How's it going?

Reactions: mmc757

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Those 24#ers would be too much without a tune. That's why I stuck with 19's and the SVT ECU. I know I'm hella late at responding...But..oh well..lol. How's it going?
Super slow right now. Still need to get the tune sorted out but I haven't been able to get back west for a long time now. Hoping to get back out there in April maybe.
Dad is taking care of odds and ends, and I think Ive got him talked into painting this spring.
My 01 REALLY needs to be put out to pasture so I'm hoping to have this car in full service and moved east by early summer.

The odds and ends list is pretty short. Finish charging the A/C, fix the clutch switch, get it aligned, and a handful of customizations. I've completely struck out in finding Z3 fenders or a Kam hood for this car so that's a bummer but I guess I snoozed on it too long.

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Making some movement...
Air conditioning is 100% GTG. That will be good.

Also this...

Reactions: LostRacer

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
You painted the Baer Calipers Green?? lol. You kept the Borla..thats awesome. Looking good!

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
You painted the Baer Calipers Green?? lol.
LOL yup. No respect for tradition or convention here!
I did stop him from painting the wheels green though. That would have been truly awful.

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 · (Edited)
You kept the Borla..thats awesome. Looking good!
The exhaust is safe for a while at least. I see no reason to lose the mufflers or tailpipes. I would like to make a custom Y-pipe and add a cutout in the future, but that wont happen until after I get it moved to the east coast.

·
Administrator
15,539 Posts
That's one of the true Borla's with the carbon fiber tips, isn't it? I've never seen another one other than mine.

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
They are very nice tips
;)

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·

·
Premium Member