New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, people on the board have discussed this issue, and everyone puts it down and says it really cant be done. but the atx is pretty much the same as the mtx execpt for a couple components. i would like to be the first member to do an mtx swap in my cougar. i thought it would be a real nice capital neco project and we could post it on the board and show everyone it can be done....no i dont wanna sell my car and buy a stick, but i was just throwing the idea out there, what do you guys think????

(expecting negative feedback but please post anyway)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
that is a really hard task from what i know ...other than just dropping the tranny ..which from what i can tell and hear is a big task alone in our cars... let alone the hydrolic lines for the clutch and the actuall pedal that has to be installed ..then routing all the two shift cable and probally a new console..i think the area around the shifters are different for the atx and mtx ...um....what else am i missing...might be a different fly wheel too ..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hopefully we can get a lot of parts from a wrecked cougar in the junk yard

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Here's what you'll probably need, other than psychiatric help:

• Remove the powertrain assembly
  • Obtain a front clip (steering wheel forward) from an MTX Cougar, powertrain intact
  • Remove the ATX transmission from the engine, remove flexplate from crankshaft
  • Mate the new flywheel, disc, & clutchplate
  • Install MTX to original motor
  • Back to the clip, swap out master cylinder & hydraulic clutch lines from MTX vehicle
  • Swap over clutch pedal hardware, route clutch lines
  • Swap over gear shifter, hardware, and cables
  • Swap over EEC-V ECU & gauge cluster (different than an ATX- Just to be on the safe side)
  • Re-install powertrain to the vehicle

Sheesh- That's gonna be pricy. Not that I'm saying it can't be done, but wouldn't it be a better use of time and money to trade out for a MTX?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW....that is a project. You are probably looking at about 5 grand easy probably just in parts. I think it would be cool, but it would take a while. One of the guy's on my old 3000GT board did an auto to manual switch. It worked, but it took him months. dont' forget that pressure switch on the clutch that tells the computer the safety is on

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.