New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats going on cougar fam!! Im tryin to make some custom changes to my cougar i need some help n ideas.

Things i want to change:
Front bumper
Rear bumper
Side skirts
Headlights
Taillights
Paint
Rims
Suspension (coilovers?)
Slight performance
Exhaust

Ive bein working on mechanics as far as now but now she is getting back to regular running and performing good. Now i want to show her some love 馃榿馃榿. So i need help finding coilovers, body kit or just a different front n rear bumper and side skirts. Also i have a single exhaust but want to make it dual. Is that gonna harm or advance her?

Attachments

Registered
1998 V6 MTX Ebony Black Wild at Heart Trim
There are alot of Bodykits going around. A few can be found new but most you can only find used just look around what fits your taste. Maybe even just get a factory spoiler and a front lips. All depends on what you like.

Headlights and Talights are limited in options. You can find some covers for both that all look a little different. Otherwise swapping the Facelift with pre Facelift Headlights is an option or getting the Euro Tail lights is another option.

In my opinion don't go overboard with paint maybe a simple two tone paintjob or some stripes. I like it more simple but other people just want all the things combined.

Again in my opinion Multispoke non drop center rims look the best. You just need to watch out that you don't order wheels that have 5 lug nut holes.

Generally in visual customization you need to kind of see the available stuff for yourself and then decide what you want. There is stuff that changes only small details and there is stuff that basically gives you another car.

I don't know how good the suspension in the US modells is but if its the same as the Euro one just go with lowering springs and some good tires and it will make a difference. Coilovers in my opinion are better if you wanna go deep into perfect adjusting it to you. But hey who am I to stop you from doing anything.

Simplest thing you could do performance wise is getting the Contour SVT Intake parts. Its all interchangeable. It'll make it run better at higher RPMs. Headers are good. And just basic stuff you would do on any other car.

For the dual exhaust it depends on how you do it. If you use the single pipe coming after the exhaust manifold and split it at the back again into two (so 2 to 1 to 2) it won't do better than a single pipe aftermarket exhaust but it will surely look better. If you actually go with two pipes with each exhaust manifold having its own pipe and then connecting them maybe after the catalitic converter using an X-Pipe it will have better flow, less restriction and actually make more power since you don't force the air out of two pipes into one. The thing is I don't know if anyone has done that before and there definetly isn't one like that for sale so you would need to make your own.

Premium Member
Trubendz sells the dual exit exhaust kits, or I'm sure any exhaust shop could figure it out.
Car Exhaust - Mercury - 99-02 Mercury Cougar - TruBendz Technology
There's not a lot of room to work with under the car to run each bank separately so a dual exhaust for us is typically cosmetic only.

The Laser red cars can be really nice looking when they are clean and shiny. I would focus on fixing what you've got before going nuts on add-ons. Get some matching wheels, peal off the vinyl stripes (or continue them the length of the car if you want to keep them...they just look unfinished right now), polish the headlights, buff the crap out of the paint to try to blend in the peeling clearcoat a little, and make sure its in great shape mechanically.

Keep exploring this site and also browse through Cougardb to see whats possible, but understand that most of the aftermarket body parts are out of production. You might still find some of that stuff available but they are dwindling rapidly.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
There are alot of Bodykits going around. A few can be found new but most you can only find used just look around what fits your taste. Maybe even just get a factory spoiler and a front lips. All depends on what you like.

Headlights and Talights are limited in options. You can find some covers for both that all look a little different. Otherwise swapping the Facelift with pre Facelift Headlights is an option or getting the Euro Tail lights is another option.

In my opinion don't go overboard with paint maybe a simple two tone paintjob or some stripes. I like it more simple but other people just want all the things combined.

Again in my opinion Multispoke non drop center rims look the best. You just need to watch out that you don't order wheels that have 5 lug nut holes.

Generally in visual customization you need to kind of see the available stuff for yourself and then decide what you want. There is stuff that changes only small details and there is stuff that basically gives you another car.

I don't know how good the suspension in the US modells is but if its the same as the Euro one just go with lowering springs and some good tires and it will make a difference. Coilovers in my opinion are better if you wanna go deep into perfect adjusting it to you. But hey who am I to stop you from doing anything.

Simplest thing you could do performance wise is getting the Contour SVT Intake parts. Its all interchangeable. It'll make it run better at higher RPMs. Headers are good. And just basic stuff you would do on any other car.

For the dual exhaust it depends on how you do it. If you use the single pipe coming after the exhaust manifold and split it at the back again into two (so 2 to 1 to 2) it won't do better than a single pipe aftermarket exhaust but it will surely look better. If you actually go with two pipes with each exhaust manifold having its own pipe and then connecting them maybe after the catalitic converter using an X-Pipe it will have better flow, less restriction and actually make more power since you don't force the air out of two pipes into one. The thing is I don't know if anyone has done that before and there definetly isn't one like that for sale so you would need to make your own.
Thanks i appreciate all the advice

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Trubendz sells the dual exit exhaust kits, or I'm sure any exhaust shop could figure it out.
There's not a lot of room to work with under the car to run each bank separately so a dual exhaust for us is typically cosmetic only.

The Laser red cars can be really nice looking when they are clean and shiny. I would focus on fixing what you've got before going nuts on add-ons. Get some matching wheels, peal off the vinyl stripes (or continue them the length of the car if you want to keep them...they just look unfinished right now), polish the headlights, buff the crap out of the paint to try to blend in the peeling clearcoat a little, and make sure its in great shape mechanically.

Keep exploring this site and also browse through Cougardb to see whats possible, but understand that most of the aftermarket body parts are out of production. You might still find some of that stuff available but they are dwindling rapidly.
Thanks.....yea i was gonna get it running n feeling right first but i was thinking a black and blue paint

Yea i no alot of parts not sold any more and im finding that out

Registered
Thanks.....yea i was gonna get it running n feeling right first but i was thinking a black and blue paint

Yea i no alot of parts not sold any more and im finding that out
Yes get it everything in shape first. Fix all the Issues, get your paint nice and shiny, get the engine running healthy and tackle all the rust plus preventing new rust. (Not saying all ig that are problems on your car but just giving you a list to work through) Once you got all of that you can start modding.

It sucks that so much isn't sold anymore. Only got into Cougars in the middle of 2020 (that sounds awfully wrong) so the struggle to find the stuff you want is very well known to me..... I wonder if I ever get any of the stuff I want......

Registered
I am actually planning on making a real dual exhaust, but only after getting a 3L Block. The only problem there would be is fitting two cats under the middle of the car (god damn emission testing) and routing around the fuel tank. But I think figuring that out when doing a AWD swap would be the best idea. Oh yeah having it street legal will also be a lot of work and money going to the MOT

Premium Member
I am actually planning on making a real dual exhaust, but only after getting a 3L Block. The only problem there would be is fitting two cats under the middle of the car (god damn emission testing) and routing around the fuel tank. But I think figuring that out when doing a AWD swap would be the best idea. Oh yeah having it street legal will also be a lot of work and money going to the MOT
I was thinking maybe a pair of oval pipes oriented vertically could be run through the middle section where the cat currently sits. That might be one way to do it. another way would be to run a single larger pipe through that section with a divider inserted inside it to keep the two streams separate, and Y-pipes at both ends.

Those don't solve the problem of where to put cats or mufflers though...Removing the stock gas tank and installing something smaller might free up some useable space but that doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Since most new cars off the lot are faster than we are anyway, most of our grand plans usually get smashed by the common sense monster. Mostly at this point the average Cougar owner is just happy to make it a nice fun, clean car.

Registered
I got some European taillights, headlights I鈥檇 be willing to sell. One of the taillights has a small crack on it (drivers side). The headlights are in pretty good shape. Only was on my car for car shows. They are RHD, but you can adjust them to be used as LHD. These would be your only options to upgrade for the headlights and taillights. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Hey whats going on cougar fam!! Im tryin to make some custom changes to my cougar i need some help n ideas.

Things i want to change:
Front bumper
Rear bumper
Side skirts
Headlights
Taillights
Paint
Rims
Suspension (coilovers?)
Slight performance
Exhaust

Ive bein working on mechanics as far as now but now she is getting back to regular running and performing good. Now i want to show her some love 馃榿馃榿. So i need help finding coilovers, body kit or just a different front n rear bumper and side skirts. Also i have a single exhaust but want to make it dual. Is that gonna harm or advance her? View attachment 81224 View attachment 81225
[/QUOTE
I also couldn't find much as for headlight so I went with upgrading the ones I already had. A little buff and paint turned out pretty good I think

Registered
Yes as Dtatom mentioned you can also paint them but they will require you to open your headlights up.

Registered
I got some European taillights, headlights I鈥檇 be willing to sell. One of the taillights has a small crack on it (drivers side). The headlights are in pretty good shape. Only was on my car for car shows. They are RHD, but you can adjust them to be used as LHD. These would be your only options to upgrade for the headlights and taillights. Thanks

Are these for sale? How much for the two head and two tail please?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts