New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I raised this issue a little while ago and haven't yet got a self programming solution. I only have 1 factory key and I'm going to pickup a 2nd spare "chipped" key, but, would like to program it myself rather than paying the dealerships to do it. I'm being quoted anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes to do the programming and such a wide discrepancy leads me to believe this might just be a 5 minute job that each dealership just charges whatever they think they can get away with.
Has anyone here successfully programmed a 2nd key when starting with just one key?
Or has anyone managed to get by the service dept. firewalls and see how the techs actually do it?
If it requires some fancy pants equipment, then I suppose I can justify what they charge, but, if it's just some simple little trick of pushing a few buttons on the dash, I think they can live with just the profit they make off of the key itself.

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
the info on the CD is for programming a third if you already have 2 keys. The car has to recognize both keys before it'll start programming more.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, even the owner's manual explains how to program up to 7 additional keys if you start with 2. BUT, those dealership guys know how to do it with only one key! So is it hi-tech eqpt. or just a very well kept secret?? Oliver Stone, are you listening?

·
Registered
723 Posts
When I did mine, I just had the 2. The car shouldn't know that the key isn't 2 keys. I think you just put the "good" key in, click to run, take it out, put the "new " key in, click it to "run", then take it out, then re-insert the "good" key and click it to "run". the car would know the keys specific "identity" It would asume that they are two separate programmed keys. This worked with my transmitters. I woul assume the keys would work the same way. It's worth a shot.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I spoke with a locksmith this morning that has provided spare "chipped" keys for Ford products. Unfortunately, he charges as much as the dealers. He claims it is hi-tech equipment when you're starting with just 1 key. He claims that the process can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours depending on whether he gets lucky with his eqpt. He says some cars are more resistant than others to accepting new codes and often he has to repeat the process numerous times with his hi tech machine hooked up to the car.
Interestingly, he also told me that I can take any cheap $3 key that is cut for the car and put it into the ignition. As long as I hold the original factory key very close to the ignition, the car will start with the cheap "fake" key and continue to work until it's removed from the ignition, but, if you need the original around all the time to start he car.....
So, the really cheap route to go is to buy a cheap $3 key and use it as an emergency spare to get into the car in case of losing the remote. Keep the original factory key hidden , but, handy in the car all the time.
In terms of CougarXR02's programming suggestion, my locksmith guy would suggest that won't work when using just the 1 key to start with, but, I agree that the logic of the suggestion is compelling.
For what it's worth....

·
Registered
593 Posts
So let's say we decided to take off the panel under the steering column and tape the good key there so that the coded key would be close enough. You'd say that any cheap 3 dollar cut key would work then and we could make as many as we want?

I'll probably try the other process tho of just using one key and acting as tho it is two and see if that works. If not, I'll continue to deal with knocking my head for not bugging the people at the dealership more to get my second key.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not good news. I tried the $3 key route. Opens/locks everything and turns fine in the ignition, but, car won't start with it. With the $3 key in the ignition, I held the factory original key in every position I could, but, the car still would not start.
Plan "B" is to contact the Raelians and see how much they would charge to clone my original key.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Page 88 of the Owner's Manual states:
"A maximum of 7 keys in all can be coded WITH ANY TWO CODED KEYS".
If you read the procedure description that follows the above quote, you'll see that you need BOTH factory original keys to code any further spares.
As I, along with others have stated previously, we only have one factory original key and the coding procedure described in the Manual does not apply.
Thus, we need to buy the transponder headed key, have it cut to match our original and then pay for the programming. It's a lot of money for a spare key that will just sit in a drawer, but, losing the original without having a spare around isn't a pretty scenario either.
I found one place that I could get a reasonable deal on the key blank, but, everyone in my city wants quite a bit for just the programming. I had hoped that someone here might have found a way to do it for ourselves or that the method described above by holding the original key close to the ignition would have worked.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
hey i did it today with one key. just use the one key you have twice and it works. thats probally what the dealerships do!

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
Originally posted by: Zalec
hey i did it today with one key. just use the one key you have twice and it works. thats probally what the dealerships do!
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: SWEET!! Zalec is my new hero...:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

·
Registered
723 Posts
I don't like saying it, but "I told you so!" lol j/k :biggrin:

Glad to see you didn't have to fork over any unnecessary $$$ though.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to be clear, Zalec, am I correct in the following instructions, and is this what you did?

1. Purchase a transponder head key, cut for my car.
2. Using my original factory key, turn my ignition to the full "on" position (just before the start engine position).
3. turn key to "off"
4. Turn key to full "on" position
5. Turn key off and remove.
6. Immediately insert the new key into ignition and turn to full on position (and I assume then start the car).
7. Remove new key

Now, the new key will start the car anytime without having the original?
If this is correct, then those dealers and that locksmith I talked with are certainly a nefarious lot and kudos to you for exposing them and assisting us.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would think in order to fool the car into believing you used 2 different keys, you should take out the key after you turned it once and then insert again and turn, and then finally put in the new key. It would seem to make more sense this way since your car can detect when the key has been removed from the ignition. I have to program mine too tonight, so i'll let you know how it works out...

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
DoctorClaw is right.

YOU MUST HAVE 2 PROGRAMMED KEYS TO PROGRAM ANY MORE.

That being said, here's the issue: You cannot use 2 keys at once in the ignition, so you can use your ONE good key TWICE, and the Cougar doesn't know the difference.

Put the car in programming mode with the one good key. Remove it, then insert the second good key (which, unbeknownst to your Cougar, is really your first key again). THEN you can insert the NEW key you just bought and had cut at Wal Mart for $1.79, and the car will accept it as its own- like one big, happy family.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Whatever you do......dont LOSE your keys! I lost both of mine (dont ask!) and I had to pay a locksmith to come out.....it cost me $185 for him to open and make one key....cost me another $50 for my remote......adn I STILL only have one key :banghead:

·
Registered
209 Posts
this feels like a mastercard commercial, but...

1 new uncut key - $10-20 on ebay
1 new remote entry - $10-20 on ebay

knowing that you'll never be stuck because you have 3 sets of keys ... priceless...

that really sucks to here that though sunni.. at least you can make some spares now, that is if you can afford it after they screwed you on pricing... i can't believe what they charge for that stuff.... sometimes you just really wish you could walk into the dealer and ask why you can get them for $10 on ebay but they charge $40+ for each plus a reprogramming charge... I personally love the excuse the machines to reprogram the key is expensive :rolleyes:... well shoudln't they have thought about that before they put it in every one of there cars... :slap:

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
yup...my grandparents had this problem with their mercury...you need 2 keys to program a third, and if you only have one, they have to start from scratch...they paid $30 for each new key and $30 for the dealer to program it = $90 total

1 - 20 of 23 Posts