New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
ATI prochargers are superchargers...

They make a universal "kit" persay, however you still need to do plenty of fabricating to get things to just fit...forget about tuning and other supposrting mods.

I believe there was a member on here a while back saying he was working on a kit using an ATI procharger...

They are very good units, and very pricey too.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
It's me !!!!!

See here. Linky Linky

The engine was stripped and uprated etc and I have been running it in. (209bhp)
Car is due to go back in 2 weeks (They have been too busy to take it back earlier), to have the Pro charger and intercooler fitted, along with my Emerald Engine Management system.
We are expecting at least 340bhp.
I will keep you posted on the outcome. It has taken a LOT longer than we first thought to get this far because parts for the Duratec are so hard to find over here in the UK. I am hoping to have the car 100% complete by end of April as I have my first show to attend in May.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Well yet more delays still mean the car isn't finished, but as I type, the car is in the garage. The intercooler and all the pipework has been fitted. The ProCharger and pully have also been fitted (to the left side of the engine as you look at it) and they are wireing up the new engine management system, whilst gettings some odd bits and pieces powdercoated. I'm now trying to get hold of a big brake conversion kit to stop the thing !

Shouldn't be too much longer now.......:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The car is no longer an Auto, BUT, it will fitt an auto because the procharger is mounted on the drivers side of the engine bay. I only changed to manual because I want to take the car round the Nurburgring etc and it was cheaper to convert and upgarde a manual box (with Quaife Diff) that to upgrade the stock slushbox.

The kit is being developed on my car, but because Pro Charger are an American company, it would make more sense for you guys to order the unit and the pipework and intercooler direct from them. You will need a new modified engine mount which I am more than willing to get made up, powdercoated and shipped to you guys though. Just bare in mind a small amount of cutting of the inner sill is required, along with remounting the screen wash bottle and the aircon top up pipe. Prices will be confirmed when I get my car back.

Photes when I get the car back will clearly explain the above also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shagmonkey,

Had a look at your Cougar whilst I was picking mine up from Autocraft - Nice alloys, I was wondering what to get! The main debate I was having with Al is that, to install a Procharger, Autocraft want to rip out the AC to make space. I'm not convinced it's necessary. Are you keeping yours? I know ford AC is weak but it's still useful when stuck on the M4 at rush hour in summer! Also, are you going to use forged pistons? Autocraft advised me to, but ATI reckon sintered pistons are good for 450bhp, so that could be a grand saved!

BTW got 212 bhp, before changing the stock air filter. Using Piper cams, ported head and headers. Going to go down the Procharger route, but want to see what happens to yours first ;-) Also want to convert to 4WD, otherwise, assuming we can get close to 300 lbs/torque, it'll only be good for painting the road black at traffic lights! Trouble is, when I asked what it would take, Al said, "Bring money....lots"!!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Originally posted by: aXeL
Also, are you going to use forged pistons? Autocraft advised me to, but ATI reckon sintered pistons are good for 450bhp, so that could be a grand saved!
You may want to stay away from that shop. Sintered pistons eh... :banghead:

Perhaps they confused rods with pistons somehow??? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Jesus, sinter forged pistons? That is just asking for trouble. Even sinter forged rods cant handle alot of power though. I say diamond pistons and pauter rods -- whats what im doing with my new motor.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi Axel,

You not a member of UKCougar.com bud??
So yours is the black Cat that I have been trying to find out who the owner is then?? lol

My ProCharger is mounted on the left side of the engine so yes I do still have my aircon. They did ask if I wanted to loose it and I said no way. It's a daily driver so with a black leather interior i would be mad to loose my aircon!
I don't know why Al said you have to loose it. Just get yours mounted in the same place as mine. Only involves some very slight cutting of the inner wing. Nothing structural.

Mine produced 209bhp but like you, I was running standard air intake, standard injectors and most importantly standard ECU. So I assume you haven't uprated the pistons yet? How about the oil pump, water pump and fuel pump? How about the clutch and uprating the gearbox and installing a Quaife Diff? Not forgetting the engine mounts etc

Mine is all being put together and mapped this week so it shouldn't be long till we both find out the results. I have been told to expect a minimum of 340bhp
They are getting back to me with a price for a 4wd and a rwd conversion but I was told it wouldn't be that big a job. Lets see huh?

Laters

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry, I meant rods not pistons - muppet moment!

Autocraft reckoned that 300-350 bhp is the absolute upper limit for stock rods and pistons and DID recommend I change them. Me being tight fisted, and the fact that everything in Britain is 3x the price of the US, means that I try to save cash where possible! Almost wonder if it's nearly economical to get someone over there to supercharge the engine and ship it back! Going to cost me $8k here :-( That's excluding the pistons, rods, diff, clutch and disks that need to be done too! Tried phoning around. Most companies either won't touch that engine or charge similar prices....

Britain isn't the country for car modding - unless you're an F1 - team! Anyone got a green card?!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Never new it existed till now! Surprised that the Cougar is popular enough in the UK to warrant a forum here!

Lets have a gander........

.....Cougarfest looks interesting

Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
UKCougar look like they want money to join the forum. It does look good, however this one is bigger AND free. Not to mention that there seems to be a problem with people, paying and then not getting access, from some of the posts I've seen :-|

Oh yes.....and I need to get a job! Only thing stopping me from further mods at the mo.

For the supercharger to work safely, I still need new pistons, clutch, diff, water/oil/fuel pump, discs. My alternator packed, so they had to replace that. Wouldn't go over 5000rpm on the dyno runs! From what you say, definately not losing the AC.

Are they remapping/replacing your existing ECU for the procharger? If you're replacing the ford one, I've heard that other ECU's don't contain progamming for climate control so the AC might not work anyway. Unless it can run the AC without the climate control component, in which case I don't mind so long as AC is there! If it is a problem, how're you getting around it?

Dare I ask what they've quoted you for the total work required to drive away with a procharger? Also be interested in the quote for 4wd and rwd conv. If they're turning the engine around for rwd, as they suggested to me, it might be wise (cheaper!) to have that done before supercharging?! Total speculation on my part though!

Also, if they say it'll be ready this week I bet they really mean this week, in July. Not to impune their work, I'm very happy with my car, even if it's still not 'torquey' enough.

BTW where'd you get your short throw? I'm still missing the quick-shift from my Scoob :-( Also 'heard' you might be changing your tail-light covers. Doing anything with the old ones or would you car to sell? :)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi Mate.

The cost is £12 a year (99.999999% of Cougar owners can afford £1 a month) and allthough as you say there is a lot of info for free over here on NECO, there is also more pertanent info for UK Cougar owners. UK part numbers etc. You also get club discounts for insurance, tyres, spare parts etc etc, but for me, the most important and best part is all the regional meets / events etc
For an example, the UK's first ever Cougarfest is in a few weeks time. We also have a club rolling road day at Autocraft coming up soon too.
Wuth regards to people paying and not getting access, sometimes there is a small delay (we are talking days, not weeks) depending on when the MODS get online and/or money has cleared/showed as recieved.

Anyhow, to keep this post on topic, I am due to collect the car THIS week now. They have fitted everything and are now just doing the mapping/injector sizeing.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Just got a phone call. Currently producing 314bhp @ 6800rpm
They are going to raise the limiter and try again as the power figure was still climbing before rev limiter ruined play. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Car is going to be collected on Saturday during the UKCougar club rolling road day.

Plenty of piccies will be taken and posted up here along with a copy of the dyno sheet before people start flaming me and accusing me of BS.

I cant wait.........

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Well it looks like around 314bhp is going to be the finished product. Not greatly happy with that as promised minimum 340bhp, but for reasons I'm not happy about, they do not want to raise the rev limit any higher than 6,800rpm

I shouldn't complain as 314bhp is still going to be stupidly fast and at long last give the Cat the power its looks deserve....but...I dunno...I just sort of feel short changed if you know what I mean.

Anyhow, will know on Friday if I can drive the Cat away on the Saturday for sure (the mapping is causing them grief). It wont have any air conditioning (pipes have had to be removed so they need to fabricate new ones), but they will sort that out when it goes back in to have the big brake conversion and KONIs fitted which should be about 3 - 4 weeks away.

Someone tell me why I'm not jumping for joy...i should be :shrug:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.