New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, bought the car in the summer, and it seemed fine, but now since its been really cold out i have noticed problems with her.
2day i was ogin 2 school. and the car was idealing at 1750 RPMS!! is that due 2 a bad sensor?not sure. it is also very very hard 2 turn the wheel, almost like have no steering until my car has been on the road for a couple of minutes. im guessing power steering pump is bad cuz i checked the fluid and it was in the middle of low and high. also my car is making a terrible screeching noise, while i am driving and sumtimes when i turn the wheel. it will keep going till it gets very high pitched and then it stops.... wat is causing all of this i really need help!!! btw, its a 5 speed 2.5 V6 1993
thanx
Clint

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The hi idle i think is normal when it is really cold out. My cougar does the same thing, i think its a warm up thing.. The streering i dont know though heh.. could just be that its stiff when its cold. The screech is probably the serpentine belt, it might beed to be changed or dressed. Cold weather makes rubber hard..

I dont know anything for sure though.. this is just what i have experienced with my own cars.

Edit: I am pretty sure that a bad power steering pump will make the belt screech, im sure someone will correct me if im wrong :)

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
yeah sounds like your pwr steering pump is bad

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
High idle when cold is normal. It should come down to about 750rpm on the KL-02 once warm.

It sounds like you have a slipping belt. This would give you the high pitched squeal
and if it was slipping enough could cause the power steering to not operate up to par.

Check the serp belts, if they appear ok adjust the tension. KL-02 uses a manual tensioner.
The one one my PGT is always in need of adjustment. In fact its squealing super loud in the cold lately, I'm just to lazy to fix it.

I sleep now.
Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts