New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this has been a problem I have had since I bought the cougar, still havent found a solution. Problem: Running lights are not lit on left side of car, as well as the front amber turning lamp and rear tail light. Basicly all the RUNNING lights (lights that are constantly on when the car is on and the headlight switch is on) do not work, here is where it gets tricky, if I turn on my left signal the front left amber turn light goes on as normal and so does the left brake light, as it should. The brake light also goes on when I step on the brakes also as it should. For some reason the running lights dont work but for the bulbs that are running lights and also turn on as brake lights or turn lights work as they should when activated. The right side of the car is fine, everything works as it should.

Now, so far I have checked everything in my power that I can myself. I have checked all fuses, no problems. I have checked all bulbs, no problems. All electrical appears to be in good shape, no tears or corroson I can see. What could be the problem? How can I fix it? And is there any other test I can perform?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
hmm sounds weird...both the front indicator and the rear indicator are dual filiment bulbs(ie one filiment for brake/turn the other for running) i know the rears are a serious pain in the ass but i would pop them out again and check that both filiments are ok...same with front indicator...seems odd that they would oth go at the same time but hey i lost both head lights and brake lights in the same week..

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
If you look in your manual you will see a right lamps fuse and left lamps fuse, you may have blown the left side. Every light except turning light and headlight is controlled by it I believe. I blew my right side when doing Angel Eyes.

Edit: Missed the part where you said you checked all the fuses, but it sure does sound like the problem I had involving that fuse.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have no problem re checking a fuse, can you tell me specficaly which one it is you are refering to? I bought this Cougar Service manual cd on ebay and it dosent give me that good of info, probably need to just spend the $150 and get the real one. As for the bulbs, they are definatly ok, it is something with wiring, and rember its also the two little running lights bulbs not just the turn and brake.

Now I noticed on the front wiring harness for the left headlight there was some hand drawn blue lines on it, one of my friends said that dealars do that when they check it. So it is possible the car has had this problem for an extensive time, and it is possible the car has already been to the dealar about this problem.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
check fuse number 33 under dash fuse compartment (7.5a fuse) its listed as left side lamps.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the problem is fixed. I went to go check fuse 33 and it wasnt there, looking at the diagram the fuse below it is blank but there was a fuse there in the fuse box. I take the fuse from the one below it, fuse 32 i think, put it in the 33 slot and now it works. I guess when I was checking all the fuses I didnt realise that it was in the wrong spot. That problem was there before I ever did anything so somehow it got moved over when the prevous owner had the car. Oh well, Im just happy its working, one problem I can cross of the list. Next problem is the keyless entry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.