New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i get p1518 (imrc stuck open). the cable isnt broken. the problem is the imrc opens right from start up and stays like that. i already bought a new imrc and it fixed it for about a week, then the problem came back.

what would cause this to come back even on a brand new imrc?

sorry for posting it here but its been posted in the problems section for a long time and didnt get a response.

·
So its begun.....
16,842 Posts
Originally posted by: MeccaManx2
sorry, i may be dumb but whats the relation with the UIM/injectors being dirty and my imrc always pulling secondary valves open?
Absolutlely nothing.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Um, yeah... The injectors are definitely BELOW the LIM butterflies... Seafoam it, or better yet, pull the whole thing off and clean it out! BrakCleen is your friend, just don't sniff it... <Whew!>

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wait...the problem is that the imrc pulls the cable from start up and wont let off until i turn the engine off. i thought i fixed it with a new imrc, but after week the new imrc started doing the same thing. is something shorting out my imrc's?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Cossack:

What of my post didn't you understand??? Putting a fuel system cleaner in the fuel tank is NOT going to help, clean, or otherwise touch the LIM or UIM!

The cleaner we're talking about hooks to a vacuum source in the UIM to actually travel through and clean the UIM and LIM, including the secondary butterflies...

·
Registered
767 Posts
I know nothing of the benefits or uses of seafoam, but I can at least understand where some confusion might be possible. Reading this thread, then reading this one on teamneco.com, they seem to present conflicting information.

Or maybe we're talking about using seafoam for two different purposes...? But either way, the confusion isn't unfounded. Hell, I'M confused now, too.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Teamneco: Home of countless and needless profanity, and spawning place of drunken misinformation. :poke:

There are two kinds of cleaners- Fuel system cleaners, and intake system cleaners. The former goes with the fuel in the fuel tank. The latter goes into the intake via a spliced vacuum line (a "T" fitting in-line). The pressured foam of the intake cleaner goes into the vacuum of the intake system and cleans all of the gunk out and burns it in the cylinders. I suppose the exhaust will stink like hell for a while, but it's supposed to be catalyst safe... I've heard good things about it, but never used it. I prefer to yank off the intake and use BrakCleen. I can acutally see those results and know that everything's sparkling when I'm done.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha my thread got jacked.

anyways...from google most of the problems were bad wiring from imrc to wiring harness, bad imrc, or bad ecu. i already replaced the imrc so that wasnt it. i was hoping its not a bad ecu (costly fix) so i checked all the harness's and cleaned them out with an electronics cleaner spray and blew it clean with an air compressor. it fixed my problem for now so if anybody has the same symptoms, do what i did.

i noticed that 2 out of the 3 harnesses( attached to the rear head) wont click all the way into eachother. just had to squeeze it as tight as i could (could be the problem, it couldve shaken loose)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.