1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
porblems occuring after car was sitting for 5days

2000 ATX V6 2.5L with AEM short ram intake ~65kmiles

The car was sitting for 5 days with the battery removed

Now I am getting these problems:

When I start the car it revs upto like 2500
The check engine light comes on
When I hold down the brake and the gear is in drive the car viberates, the dash lights dim, and it sounds like its reving by itself and having a hard time breathing

While I am driving I have to keep the revs up like around 3k to keep it going 65mph
At traffic lights at idle it viberates again and have to almost floor the gas to move it again

·
Registered
954 Posts
was it undercover while the battery was removed?

hood up or anything?

doesn't sound like it would have anything to do with the battery, obviously...

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
does the CEL stay on? If so, your answer lies there. Take it somewhere and have the CEL code checked.

Mike

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I had the same problem as you after my car was being worked on and had no battery hooked up and when i first started to drive i had the same problem as you

you have to let the computer reset you car should be fine after about 10 starts

worked for me

i got it back from the shop and on my way home it did that and i was like WTF all this money and they f----ed it up more
but after a day or two it was fine

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its been 2 days and no improvements.

Since the temperature is low I can see the exhaust smoke, the smoke looks like you see from a steam engine train (choo-choo)

Like its chucking or maybe puffing out the smoke

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Check the obvious first... Make sure that all the vaccuum hoses on your intake are connected, as well as the plug wires. Maybe one got pulled loose while taking the battery out. Also, take it to autozone and have the CEL checked. At least that will give you an idea if the previous suggestion doesn't work. My money would be on a loose vaccuum hose on the intake. If one is not connected, the car will idle really rough and feel like it's going to die. Hence the dimming dash lights and shaking. Your car may be revving itself to keep itself running.

N

·
0 Posts
happened to me once. Turned out to be a random multiple cylinder misfire. I took it to the dealership and they covered it under warranty. Turned out a wire on the 02 sensor was frayed

·
0 Posts
when you disconnect the battery ,your computer{brain for your car shuts off and loses all info it has learned about its iddle ing process , look in your owners manual about iddling processre relearningit should helpif not you got other problem gps,.crackerbotz.zip.linux/crackerzzz<<<<<<not a link

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
O2 sensor's easy enough to replace... did it say which one?

IAT? Do you have the sensor in the airstream?

The engine running lean is the bad one... it's much better to run rich than lean.

What were the others?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The codes were rested.

Then the check signal light came back on again this morning and went to Autozone to get read again.
This is what they pulled out:

Bank 1 & Bank 2 running lean and something related to the Mass Air Flow Fuel Meter

The autozone clerk told me to check if there is any leaks in the air intake system
and to clean the throttle with some STP Throttle Body & Air Intake cleaner

They said to remove the entire intake system and spray some of the cleaner while hitting on the gas. (is this safe?)

N

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarKat
The codes were rested.

something related to the Mass Air Flow Fuel Meter
hey man, thats what i was trying to remember in our PM's. That was it. Do you by any chance have an AirFuel Ratio gauge? Its an odd question, but im curious.

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
i know this sounds stupid and im sure you already checked it...but one time when i was working on my intake the IAT sensor came loose from the intake and i didnt realize it and it caused my car to run like crap just like your describing

just a thought.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Solved the problem - it was a leak in the AEM short ram

Where the MAF connects to the horn then to the filter
The part where the MAF connects to the horn there is a foam type cloth in between
That piece came loose and was hanging in the middle blocking air flow.

So I made sure I had that piece secured in place before tightening up the bolts
Now the car is ideling fine with no problems

1 - 16 of 16 Posts