New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My voltage guage is only reading like 8-9 volts at idle and around 10-11 while i am going, i have a new alternator and new battery, occasionally everything will brighten back up for a few seconds and then dim back out...any clue?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
lol test your alternator, its been known people who put a new one in, in another week they go bad... dunno why. some people on here have some $hit luck.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Also check fuse 2 and 7 in the fuse box by the battery under the hood.

G

·
Originally posted by: NECOPhenix
My voltage guage is only reading like 8-9 volts at idle and around 10-11 while i am going, ?
dude is something wrong with your gauge? my car wouldnt even crank when i had even 10 volts. Check your connection on your gauge.

Also how bad are the lights dimming? Mine dim very slightly but im still putting out a FULL 14 volts when cruising, and 13 when idle.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Originally posted by: NorCalCoug
Check to make sure they tensioned the belt correctly? :shrug:
Not sure about the I4 but the V6 has an auto tensioner, you can't set the tension manually.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well...I took the car to the shop after onlt getting 9V the whole time the car was running...not even enuf power to get the window up...on my way voltage dropped to 8 and my whole dash went out and the car eventually died in line at ford ...radio and everything...all i have heard from ford is that they cant even keep the car started long enough to get all the codes out of the computer

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok...ford put in a new alternator...same results they have no clue what has happened...anyone else have any idea???

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Tell ford to do THIS

If the voltage regulator sensing line has too much resistance in it for whatever reason, you can hook it directly up to the main power output line and let it sense that way.

Edit: and that's a ford tech bulletin fix, too. not just some hair brained idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts