New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got myself into a bit of a mess here, in attempting to put on my stock hood, I snapped one of the screw inside one of the holes, how do you get this out?? and how do you prevent it from happenin again?? the screw wasn't goin in straight for some odd reason....please help me...

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
You'll have to get a tap (special attachment for a drill) and get it out that way and then re-thread the hole. You might be able to rent the tools you need (if you don't already have them)...or you can do what I did. I snapped off my billet antenna from the base and went down to my friendly neighborhood stereo shop (I'm pretty tight with them)...They have the neccessary tools and expertise to use them properly. I had the installation manager do the work for me and in return I went out and picked him up some lunch. I guess it ended up costing me like 5 bucks.
Charles

·
Registered
998 Posts
What you did is called "cross threading" a bolt or screw.

I would suggest trying an easy out or something similar. I have seen them on tv and I think they have them at Sears. It is a thing that is similar to a drill bit but works in reverse. What it does is it starts to drill into the broken bolt and then will "catch" and begin to twist the bolt out. This was also made (and advertised) to take out screws or bolts that have stripped heads. If you can get one or these it will be well worth the money if it works. If it takes out the broken screw (which it is designed to do) you then have two choices. The best choice it to tap the hole using the directions that follow. However sometime you can cheat this process. Sometimes you can make new threads by just putting in another screw. this all depends on how bad you cross-threaded it. Just make sure that you put the screw in straight (not at the angle it wants to go...this is how the problems is started originally).

However they the easy outs don't always work so you second choice (which is a pain) is as follows):

I am not sure what size the bolt is but this is how you fix any broke bolt that can not be twisted out.

1. Drill the broken screw out with a drill and a drill bit Make the hole slightly smaller than the screw. You must stay on the center of the bolt to do the best job (this is the pain). I you do not you may end up with a larger hole or some type of double hole.

2. Use a tap (it is sort of like a drill bit, but will cut you new threads). You should use some type of oil or lubricant to make a clean cut and to prevent you from breaking the tap.

Problems you may run into...

1. When you use a tap the threads are slowly cut in deeper and deeper so it may take the bit up to 1/2 an inch before it get the treads to the right depth. So if you can not go the entire way through whatever you are tapping you may have to drill it all the way through and then go back and cover the hole (in the hood in you case).

2. You did not drill it out in the center. This could be a huge problem. You may be able to just tap a bigger size, but you may have alot more trouble than that (this is why the easy out is a plus).

FYI...when you need to tap a bolt or but new threads on a bolt you have to use a die(not quite sure if this is the correct spelling might be dye)

I am in a rush right now and don't have time to the best how to, but I hope this helped you out a little. If anyone sees any problems with this please let me know so I can correct it.

Hope this helped,

Brian

·
Registered
998 Posts
Heres what I found out...The body man and I thought:
1. there seems to be enough room to retap where the broken bolt is. So back the screw out with an easy out, or drill it out and retap it.

2. If you mess up drilling the hole out (don't drill thorugh the center of the old bolt) you may have to use a wider bolt or you may have to drill a new hole next to the factory one. This is a pain. Not because of the drilling, but because there are no threads for the bolt to thread into (I am almost positive this will only be sheet metal). So what you would have to do...with a saw, dremel, or something that cuts metal, cut through the hood on the inside on the same piece as the broke screw (you should not cut anything visible when the hood is closed). Make a cut big emough so that you can fit a wrench into the hole when you bend back the metal. Tape or glue the nut onto the wrench (this is only momentary so you don't drop the nut inside your hood/hinge you must separte the nut and the wrench after you start threading the bolt so only use enough to hold it). Then put the bolt through and tighten it up (be sure not to over tighten or cross-thread). Then you will have to bend the sheet metal back and weld it together. this is a pretty difficult process and I don't have know it you have access a welder so I would wait for some other opinions before I did this.

You may want to remove your hood to do this so you can use the easy out at a good angle.

My best suggestion if everything goes smothly (which it usually doesn't when you break a bolt) is

1. Buy an easy out or a drill bit that removes stripped or broken screws.

2. Put it in the drill.

3. With drill in reverse begin to drill the center of the bolt (you may find a ceter punch helpful when you stat but be careful not to hit it too had you you may dent you hood on the other side) if you are lucky it will grab the screw and unscrew the broken bolt (cross you fingers).

4. Find out what size tap you will need (probably meteric) and acquire one (you may be able to take the hinge to a body shop or machine shop and they will tap it for you) (it takes about 1 minute)

5. Oil the tap and screw it in (make sure you don't go too far and dent you hood on the outside.

6. Unsrew tap and screw in new bolt.

Let me know how it turns out or if I can help anymore.

Hope it helped,

Brian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thnx for the reply charles, I was wonderin what do you mean by re-threating the hole? exactly what do I do??

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: BlackDragon
thnx for the reply charles, I was wonderin what do you mean by re-threating the hole? exactly what do I do??
To rethread a hole, you'll need a tap and die tool that will recreate the threads in the hole, but it will be a little bit larger than the original stock screw hole... so you'll need a new sized screw to make the connection. You should be able to get the tap at any hardware store - try to get the one closest to the stock hole, then just "screw" it in place to create the new threads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.