New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, but I've had my 2000 Cougar for about 2.5 years now. Bought it from a friend in Janesville at 38k miles. At 70k now and having trans problems. The repair shop is Badger Transmission in Hales Corners on Hwy 100. Any have comments on their work or ability to fix this problem? Any suggestions?

Here is the message I posted on the Problems board:

I've been searching this board and others for some suggestions on how to get my hunk of junk 2000 Cougar, V6, automatic, to work right. In Aug of 2002 I first had my problems with the *!* (the little ! in the circle light) flashing, or the O/D Off light flashing... sometimes, but not always, these would trip the Check Engine light.. which may stay on for a day or two. When this problem happens, shifting, especially from 1st to 2nd, feels like I'm getting kicked in the rear!!! Luckily, I bought an extended warantee through my bank when I bought the car used with 38k miles.

So far the repair shop has replace the torque converter, valve body, speed sensor on the engine, some other sensor that Ford had to replace twice in 6 months because they were built wrong, blah, blah, SUPPOSEDLY the torque converter again with a brand new Ford replacement instead of a rebuild... I'm starting to not trust their answers. I've been into the shop every other month (its a long drive and I have to drop off the car for several days at a time... up to 4.5 weeks in the winter of '03) for over a year now (its end of Feb '04). The problem just keeps happening. And I've seen the problems on this board and others. Is there no way to fix this?

After this last time I picked it up, when they supposedly put in the newest torque converter, I notice that if I accelerate slowly around 45 or 50 mph, I sometimes get a vibration that lasts as long as I continue to accelerate... if I hammer the gas it goes away, if I let up it goes away. Feels like I'm sitting on an electric razor when it happens. But of course that doesn't happen ALL the time either. I'm wondering if this vibration, now noticable, is what trips the lights.

I'm trying to research this on my own because I don't think the repair place is trying anymore. The warantee place made the repair shop do all this work free because they "guarantee their work, and the problem wasn't fixed even though it was paid for". I just dropped off the car again and now they are down to adding some "miracle juice" to the tranny that is supposed to sometimes magically fix these trannys by making the clutch stick better. They said the vibrations are from the clutch slipping and not engaging properly.

Last thing, I'm going to check that pressure release tube up by the battery next time I see my car. I'll see if that has been cleared out, but I don't have puddles of fluid like I hear about from the other people. Please help if you can. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
same thing happened to me.. what it later turned out to be was the transmission fluid was overfilled -- do you notice any puddles under your car at all?

mine only acted up when it was on the road for about 30 minutes or so - the fluid would get hot and then start boiling over - the little exclamation sign was on the screen and the car shifted VIOLENTLY... it's definately worth a shot having them check the level - I went to one of those cheap Jiffy Lubes or whatever and they were the ones that overfilled - sometimes the obvious is overlooked.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
Quick note - Badger is in Greenfield not Hales Corners ;-)

CougarGT had an interesting run-in with Badger... He was looking to get a new differntial installed into his trans, he called them, the guy on the phone said "I aint touchin that shiznit" and hung up on him when he asked why not.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Originally posted by: ov3n
Quick note - Badger is in Greenfield not Hales Corners ;-)

CougarGT had an interesting run-in with Badger... He was looking to get a new differntial installed into his trans, he called them, the guy on the phone said "I aint touchin that shiznit" and hung up on him when he asked why not.
I thought I was very polite.

"Hi, I'm calling in reguards to finding out an approximate cost of installing a new differential into my mtx-75 transaxle. I will do the transmission removal and installation myself, I just do not feel confident in my skills to install a differential. Do you have a rough estimate of what this would cost?"

"Uhhh, we don't install that [censored]"

"Are you not a transmission shop....."

CLICK!

Good luck, that place is shady!!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help so far. I think I'm going to really have to hammer Badger on actually writing up a checklist of things they are going to do to try to fix the problem. Everytime the problem comes up again they just tell me to "drop it off and we'll look at it". I can sit and look at a broken car all day long too... that won't fix it.

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
why not take it to a ford dealer? will be more expensiev but they know the car better than bob's tranny repair..

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had my car at the Ford dealer to get some work done... fuel pump blew, some computer module under the dash went screwy, etc. This was all during the time I was still taking it to Badger. The Ford guys didn't have any plans different than the guys at Badger AND... here is the kicker... since I bought an extended warantee through my bank and had Badger do the initial work, and the only way the warantee place pays is if the repair shop guarantees their work for 1 year, and the problem keep popping up, I either take it to Badger over and over and over until they get it done OR I pay everything myself. Since the Ford dealer is just going to do what the Badger people say they are doing, and that isn't working, I'm not going to shell out $2000+ for a tranny.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update...

They replaced the torque converter again. Something about they had replaced it before with a Dynamix brand and now they are using a Dayco. (Spelling? whatever) That was the end of Feb. It is now late March and I haven't had the problem pop up again. Hopefully it is fixed, but I've had two month breaks before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts