New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, before anyone gets stupid, remember I bought the car as-is, I didn't actually build the motor in it, which is why I'm asking for a little help. A trip to Autozone netted me these problem codes.

DTC P0402 - EGR Flow Excessive

DTC P1131 - Insuff. Switching Control Valve Sensor/Lean

DTC P0172 - System Too Rich (Bank 1)

DTC P0175 - System Too Rich (Bank 2)

DTC P1000 - OBD Systems Readiness Test Not Complete

DTC P1519 - Intake Manifold Runner Stuck Closed (Bank 1)

I know the Too Rich codes are O2 sensor/tuning related, and I've come to the conclusion the IMRC code means I need a new IMRC. Can anyone tell me what the duece the other codes mean and if fixing the aforementioned will help those any?

·
Registered
533 Posts
PO402: New EGR valve (emissions), it's probably clogged in the open position.
PO1131: No Idea
PO1000: Check the connection at the plug? Key at on, with engine off? Loose wire?

O2 sensors may deal with 402, but 1131 is a shot in the dark. Do you have a shop manual? It should be in there.

-A-

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'll haul the Chilton's out in the morning, I just don't feel much like it right now.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have the P0402 and P1131 codes as well. A considerable number of people (or the same person multiple times...I can't remember which) have told me that the 0402 code usually isn't referring to a problem with the EGR valve itself, but is instead due to a failing DPFE sensor. Some anecdotal evidence of folks chasing this code by first replacing the EGR valve with no change seems to back this up.

My Autozone printout for the 1131 gives a slightly different description than what you've provided. Mine reads "Lack of HO2S Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean", which coupled with my P0133 code for a failing oxygen sensor 1 in bank 1 makes me hope that replacing this sensor might take care of both codes. *crosses fingers* I saw another post on another thread which tied the 1131 to the 1/1 sensor, so maybe replacing that sensor would take care of your 0172 as well?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.