New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the lights come factory i know they are sealed pretty good. Anyone know it they are completely air/moisture tight? And after you open them how hard is it to prevent mositure from getting on the inside of the lense and making it cloudy?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
It's pretty hard to do, they are sealed pretty at the factory. Use a good amount of silicone around them to seal them up, but before you seal them, wipe the insides out with some alcohol, and then use some of that fog stuff that's made for glasses. Just squirt the inside down and then wipe them totally out. Then seal them really well with the silicone. That should do it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sealed mine back up after painting inside housing. Its been raining alot and no moisture on the inside. Just use alot of silicone 'goo'. I used a caulk gun and some silicone sealent from Home Depot, which worked great for me. Good Luck.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was concerned that it was a vacuum from the factory and all the air was removed. That would keep any moisture from ever being able to condense on the clear cover, since there wouldn't be any. Everyone else had pretty good luck with opening them up and your seals working pretty well?

·
Registered
429 Posts
They are definently not air tight. You have to open them up, from the back, to replace the bulbs.

I heard a lot of people didn't get a good seal after opening them up...so they have to take out a light or 2 and shake out the excess water...or dry it out. :cool:

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I had the same problem of water getting in there and I had to shake them to get it out, but the last time I took them apart, I got some sealant from home depot and used almost the entire bottle on both headlights. For about 4 months now I've had nothing get in there, and everytime it rains they stay dry. Just use a lot of sealant around the edges, push the headlights together, and wipe off the excess sealant, it can get messy.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.