New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i live in alabama, and no one here knows how to do body kits, you have to do it yourself then get someone to paint it.

my question: how do i prep and primer? like do i need a specific grit sand paper or does it matter, i know you just scuff up the piece with sand paper enough to spray primer, but i know its not as easy as it sounds. is there anything else i need to be aware of?

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
how can nobody not know how to do it? Aren't there bodyshops? Anyway, you have to start with a low-grit sandpaper (really rough) and work your way down to the smoother ones (higher grit), until the surface is smooth. Then you can spray primer. After each coat you spray, you should sand it [email protected]$$ smooth.

Mike

·
Registered
298 Posts
on a body kit depending on quality of the kit if it fits right up and and there are no stress cracks or high or low spots, you can just take some 180 and take it over the whole area then you are able to spray the whole bumper in primer, mainly u just have to rough it up so the paint will adhere.. then right after u spray the 3rd coat of primer... take a can of black spray paint and just mist it on the bumper... this is called a guide coat when u start your wetsanding use automotive grade paper use 400 grit and then maybe hit it over with 600 grit on the areas you see realy well it all depends how good of a surface u are lookin for but you jsut sand until you get all the guide coat off but dont just sand at the spots that have black dont put weight onto it so u get it down quicker that is how you will creat waves jsut use long even strokes and you will get the hang of it. pm me if u need any more info on anything specific. Justin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.