New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when you gut the pre cats do you have to reset the computer. is this mod worth while and has anybody done it.if so how much was the improvement.i have a atx with injen intake and racing exhaust. any info would be greatly appreciated.:biggrin:

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Gutting the precats is like cheap headers. Yes, it will give you better performance, yes you have to reset the computer.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
oooh ohohohoh pick me :)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I gutted mine, and it's probably the most effective performance mod I've done. Not to metion it's damn near free, other than the small amount of time involved and the MIL eliminators. I don't have Pucks natural skill so I had to pay for mine.;)

What is I&M? If you mean smog, it should pass fine. As long as the car's nice and warm, the main cat will take over for emissions. If you mean passing some sort of dealer inspection, they might give you some grief. That just depends on the dealer.

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Most state inspections won't look quite that closely at your exhaust manifold, as it still looks perfectly stock. (Sort of ;))

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
minue the one bolt in the front manifold :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for your help but what do i have to do with the mil eliminator. i thought i lust had to reset the computer.any help is greatly appreciated. will this mod change the tone of the exhaust. i would imagine it would get louder. I LIKE LOUD!

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
car definetely has more power....

for full info on this mod check out the how to posted on http://www.teamneco.com... go to the main site there and click on how to then engines, and select it, it tells you how to do it from start to drive away....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i was told by a mechanic here in oregon it wouldnt pass i&m.has anybody done this mod in like california and passed.
any info would be greatly appreciated. i just dont want to do it and and not pass because of too many pollutants.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
yes some people have passed emmisions, i can't remember who but some people did indeed pass them

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks puckpuck but how do you do the mil eliminators. i want to be able to do it without having any lights go off.
and would it be easier to just wait and buy headers. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I have! I passed! It was just last week too. I have gutted them, but still have my stock catalytic converter. Do I need to post a pic of the test results for all to believe? lol

·
Registered
590 Posts
How long would you estimate this would take an anal person, who isn't a mechanic but can follow instructions very well?

Also, can this mod be combined with headers for even better performance? What about the upcoming turbo kit from Street Flight?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks mindtrip1016! your car is sweet. how do you like the sw front bumper.when you gutted the precats did you do any mil eliminators. i was just curious. i want to do it but i dont want to throw off any sensors.did you notice a big difference. what state are you located i'm in oregon. thanks!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I didn't have to use the MIL elims. I have a 2001 and it is not required for me. Yeah, I noticed a difference in the top in power range. It was nice and cheap mod.

The SW front is a pain. All routes must be premapped in my head to avoid uneven pavement or speed bumps, etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for all your help i was thinking of getting the dragon front end and the predator hood. the hood first i think it will help get rid of the heat from the engine. as far as the body kits i guess aerogear is comming out with a blitz and a aero xtreem body kit but i havent seen any pics. mine is a 2000 and i dont know if i will have the same luck as you.

·
Registered
590 Posts
mickey - keep us updated on whether you did the MIL elimination (and what you did to accomplish it). Let us know how long it takes too!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts